Maine

Single Guests Asking for Dates

We sent out all of our invitations a couple of weeks ago and I am excited to get replies back. However, singles guests we invited have starter calling, emailing and texting asking if they can bring guests to the wedding. I have been meticulous in planning the guest list- making sure to get names of all boyfriends/husbands or girlfriend/wives from guests that are in relationships so I find this particularly irksome. FILs have graciously offered to pay for extra guests but I don't want to allow them. I feel as though this is a wedding, not some random party we are throwing, and people should respect that the guest list is limited. I haven't answered anyone yet because I am very stressed out as to what to do. Is it selfish to deny the single guests dates when it isn't a financial issue?
176 Invited to Rock image
98 Bringing Their Boogie Shoes image
56 Won't Be Dancing image
22 Still Waiting... image

Re: Single Guests Asking for Dates

• jena.n.rossjena.n.ross member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_single-guests-asking-dates?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:52adcee6-e138-4c30-8f5e-26439cb79e62Post:88141930-8129-4253-8fc0-64314f21c8a1">Single Guests Asking for Dates</a>:
    [QUOTE]We sent out all of our invitations a couple of weeks ago and I am excited to get replies back. However, singles guests we invited have starter calling, emailing and texting asking if they can bring guests to the wedding. I have been meticulous in planning the guest list- making sure to get names of all boyfriends/husbands or girlfriend/wives from guests that are in relationships so I find this particularly irksome. FILs have graciously offered to pay for extra guests but I don't want to allow them. I feel as though this is a wedding, not some random party we are throwing, and people should respect that the guest list is limited. I haven't answered anyone yet because I am very stressed out as to what to do. <strong>Is it selfish to deny the single guests dates when it isn't a financial issue?</strong>
    Posted by memartelli[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes.
    </div>

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

**Current VistaPrint Groupon - $17 gets you $70(good 'til 11/8)**

**New project in the works: Follow my Twitter for more Groupon (etc) deals!**

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Bio ~ A Bride's Guide to VistaPrint * www.vistaprint-goddess.weebly.com

"In my book you're a VistaPrint goddess" --Hannah

Photobucket

• edited December 2011

I don't think it is selfish at all.  It sounds like you sent invites to your guests who had significant others.  I think it would be awkward to go through the receiving line and congratualte a couple, the same time I was meeting them face to face.  Weird!

To me the money issue isn't a factor, but I am sure your parents or whoever is paying could use the money on something else instead of just your friend's date.

Just my .02.

• edited December 2011
    Hmm. I can see both sides. A wedding is about being with your closest friends and family, and I can see not wanting a bunch of people's random dates there they brought just because they think they should.

On the other hand, weddings can be a hard thing to go to when you're single, especially if you don't know many people. If you want these people to come, have fun and be happy, I might consider honoring their requests.

But it is rude of people to ask, and it irks me that people think it's okay to do this! But what can you do.... Undecided
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards