Maine
Options

Lewiston/Auburn area ceremony location

Hello

My fiance and I are getting married September 3, 2011. Our reception is in Lewiston Maine. We're not from that area. They have a ceremony site available to us for free, but my fiance isn't crazy about their ceremony site. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any chapels or non denominational churches in that general area that would let us use their space for a wedding? Or, not even a church. Are there any pretty places outdoors in that area available for weddings?

Thanks!!!

Re: Lewiston/Auburn area ceremony location

• Options
    hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bates College? 

I was in a wedding that took place in their chapel back in 2000 and I'm pretty sure it's nondenominational.

I generally don't equate "pretty outdoors"" with the Lewiston/Auburn area (no offense to any L/A people), so I don't think I can recommend any outside location.  I used to spend quite a bit of time there back in the early 2000s, but I haven't been there for much in a long time.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    jelenybeanyjelenybeany member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i loved that chapel but i guess they're closed for the year because of repairs. i figured there wouldn't be a whole lot of pretty outdoor spaces in that area, but i wasn't sure if there was maybe a golf course or park somewhere. thanks!
  • Options
    ivyrose13ivyrose13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Could you have the ceremony in the reception space? 

I live in Durham, and I can't think of any "wedding appropriate" outdoor spaces in the Lewiston/Auburn area, as for the churches, I am not familiar with any non-denominatonal ones. Do you and FI belong to a church at home? Maybe you could find a church of that denomination in L/A? Otherwise, it's not really appropriate to get married in a church for a "pretty backdrop."

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we are looking for non denominational because we have a child together, and know that churches that are affiliated with our religion (baptist) are not comfortable marrying us. i don't think it's very nice to both assume that i'd be looking for a church for a pretty backdrop, and to then comment on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Lewiston....even if the Bates Chapel is being renovated, I wonder if they would let you get married by their pond? That is such a popular place for taking pictures. A lot of people get married at the Poland Spring Chapel even if they aren't having their reception there...its only 20 minutes away. Or maybe you can rent outside of the Hilton Garden Inn with the falls as your backdrop?
    I'm getting married at Pineland Farms in New Gloucester, which is 20 minutes away. You can rent just the ceremony space (I think its $650 or $850) to rent one of their several locations...they even set out a beauitful selection of refreshments for your guests--lemondade, ice tea, water--served in elegant glass canisters.
    There are plenty of lovely locations if you think outside the box and don't mind travelling a little bit.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    those are all great ideas! i'll look into the falls, and pineland farms especially. it's so gorgeous there, but if I remember correctly, they're reception space was out of budget for us. It would be nice to at least use their ceremony space.

Thanks!
  • Options
    LinneyKimLinneyKim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about the Hilton Garden Inn in Auburn?  I believe they do ceremonies outside and you can get a backdrop of the waterfall behind you. 
    There's also Martindale Country Club in Auburn.  A friend of mine was married there, except it rained on her day so she had to do it inside. 
    There's also Spring Meadows in Gray (?), never been, but the pictures look nice!

Those were the only ones that came instantly to mind but I'm sure there are more places I'm not thinking of.  I'm sure you'll be able to find something! 
  • Options
    angegaryangegary member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The franco american heritage center is Lewiston is also a beautiful place.  They host many wedding there.  Just a suggestion.  Used to be a Catholic Church and when it closed they renovated it.  It's still a pretty building.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards