Maine
Options

Looking for opinions...

We have about a 4.5 hour drive up to our wedding venue and we have a lot of stuff to bring with us.  Enough that we have to ask probably multiple people to help because we are DIY'ing a lot of decorations, some glassware, linens, and we will also be bringing up our OOT bags, gifts for bridal party, clothes for a week and two sets of golf clubs.  I am also gunning to build a photo wall photobooth. 

We have people to help, but my FI is starting to freak out a bit about all we have to transport and he is fighting me on the dessert I want to buy here and bring north with us.  We are not having a wedding cake, and instead want to do individual desserts.  I have made a connection here with someone who just graduated culinary school and she makes amazing chocolate lava cakes, in ramekins, and they would transport very easily.  There would be about 3 cookie sheets full, and this is what is putting him over the edge. 

So my question is, I am offering him a barter deal.  We were supposed to be buying 15 free standing wreath hooks and amber hanging candle holders to use as decorations. I thought I could use them to line our aisle, or put along the deck area.  The venue itself is stunning and I do have alternative decorations I can use (pomander balls on chairs).   I guess I'm questioning how much imact these decorative items will add and if I should let them go to get a yummy (and cheap!) dessert option.  What do you think is more important?  Would you choose food/dessert over decorations? 
Married 9.4.11

Re: Looking for opinions...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would choose the food, like you said, your venue is already beautiful and sometimes decorations at a ceremony can block the view of your guests. I think less may be more if your venue is already pretty!
  • Options
    jdenormandiejdenormandie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm guessing you will be headed up a few days before the event...will the desserts stay fresh?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Will you be headed this way at all before the wedding?  If so I would bring some of your already completed projects with you then, and maybe you'll have enough room for both right before the wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, we're heading up a few days before the wedding.  When the girl made us samples, I kept one in the fridge (like we would up there) for the same number of days and it was delicious.  I was surprised.

We probably will head up in the late Spring, but unfortunately we'd have no where to leave the stuff.  I don't think it's too big of a challenge, but FI does.  We worry about such different things.
    Married 9.4.11
  • Options
    amshaw1amshaw1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    if you definitley have to choose I would choose food - those sound yummy!!!!
  • Options
    littlefieldmjlittlefieldmj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The decorations sound very pretty, but I agree with the PP - go with the food.  The lava cakes sound very yummy, and people will probably remember (and appreciate!) those more than candles.  Mmmm, now I'm hungry!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the opinions.  I really think I"m leaning that way.  Those lava cakes were soooo good!   
    Married 9.4.11
  • Options
    LHB2011LHB2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe a silly question, but could you ship some of the decorations (especially the lighter ones) in USPS flat rate boxes to the place where you will be staying?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's not a silly question.  I definitely think we could, especially something like the pomander balls and floral letters I'm making.  I guess we'd have to see how much shipping would be.  That is a great idea. 

We really do have at least 5 people who could help us transport stuff up though, so I think we'll be ok.  He's just stressing over this.  He's allowed to have his freakouts though because I know I've had mine.  :) 
    Married 9.4.11
  • Options
    plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey Lady! I totally understand the groom stressing out over DYI things. :) Keeping them calm is a good thing. 

I agree with the PPs, especially in that people will remember if the food was amazing, but may not remember the decor as much. Chocolate lava cakes would win me if I were your guest, especially since your venue is so beautiful as it is!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
  • Options
    plato79plato79 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    p.s. when I said I understand the groom stressing - what I meant was that my groom is stressing too about similar things.... :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker June 3, 2011!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_looking-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:98Discussion:af18de82-8ab7-4c58-ac45-1bf87e17e91bPost:6c00d636-cd98-4a62-925c-95e33cbb6465">Re: Looking for opinions...</a>:
    [QUOTE]p.s. when I said I understand the groom stressing - what I meant was that my groom is stressing too about similar things.... :)
    Posted by plato79[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  :)  You girls are the best!  I appreciate all the support!
    Married 9.4.11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    chrispy, im not doing any decorations besides flowers, ill post pictures in 8 days!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been thinking of you SO MUCH Amanda!  One week to go!  I am actually going to be in Portland on the 12th, so I will have a toast to you and your new hubby!  I can't wait to see how beautiful your day came out.  :)
    Married 9.4.11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hey chrispy if you feel like taking a long drive, you are more then welcome to come see how everything is set up saturday morning! anytime before 1pm! would love to help another ski esta bride actually see ski esta set up in wedding mode!! :)  
  • Options
    hcorr34hcorr34 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Looking for opinions...:
    [QUOTE]I've been thinking of you SO MUCH Amanda!  One week to go!  I am actually going to be in Portland on the 12th, so I will have a toast to you and your new hubby!  I can't wait to see how beautiful your day came out.  :)
    Posted by chrispygal[/QUOTE]

Ditto!  Every time I check the weather, I look at the 10-day forecast with you in mind.  Sending you LOTS of good weather vibes for next weekend!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Tegan44Tegan44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hey girls.  i love reading your comments back and forth.  i will be married at ski esta in october and just love it!  i guess your waiting date is today amanda?!  congrats!  i actually think that i spoke to your wedding planner yesterday on her way up!  congrats to you both and i look forward to seeing pictures!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards