Maine

Thinking of Davids Bridal for wedding dress and brides maids dresses

Looking to know if this would be a place to deal with. One of the biggest things and I dont want to have a hassel with them. I have heard a story through a friend of a bride that she tried on a sample dress and because it fit her like a glove they said she had to buy the sample. I don't get why they do that. If you are going to pay for it what is the big deal. So she ended up going over that dress with her mom several times and then found a little fracture then got to order a new one. That is one thing I really don't want to deal with. I am also looking for a place that will take time with you and not rush you out the door. I know of another bridal store in Auburn, Caldwells but, they are over priced and dont have many samples to try one. Also had am issue with a zipper on a dress I bought. It was not fun to deal with at my brothers wedding. In the bathroom alot that night to keep fixing it. Anyone know of places in the area to go to? If anyone has gone to Davids how are they?

Re: Thinking of Davids Bridal for wedding dress and brides maids dresses

• I know others avoid it, but I used DB for both my dress and the BMs dresses and I had a great experience.  They were in my budget range more than some other local places, and I had BMs all over the place so I needed a place they all could easily access.

I didn't have any dress purchase issues.  My dress was ordered and came in a month later.

A few tips:
    If at all possible, schedule your appointment during the week on a day when most people are working or at night in the middle of the week.  I went around noon on a Wednesday afternoon and there was one other bride trying on dresses in the entire store.  I had tons of personal attention and didn't feel rushed.

Avoid holidays and weekends.  That's when everyone is trying to get in there.

I think most places that keep a tight schedule are going to start trying to "rush" you if the appointment is going way longer than it's supposed to and there are other people waiting.  When you make the appointment, ask how long they are scheduled for.

Do your research ahead of time.  I went in with a list of dresses (printed from their website) and had them numbered in the order I wanted to try them on. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • try andreas bridal in portland- thats where i am going. i dont even want to deal with davids bridal. heard way to many horror stories!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had an awful time trying on Wedding Dresses there.  They double book appointments, they pull random dresses that looked awful on me.  They didnt listen to my vision at all.  More expensive than I would have thought for much cheaper material.  The dresses fit awful compared to my experience at Andreas in Portland!!! 

• I had a great experience at David's Bridal-- and I even went on a Saturday. We started a little bit later than scheduled because the appointment before me went a little long, but that was no big deal.

I had a list of dresses I wanted to try in order of preference, too. They brought me the first three, then two more, and it was no hassle at all. The one I ended up buying fit great, but they ordered a new one for me. They didn't try to make me take the sample.

I think like a lot of things, it just depends on the day, who you get, and what you're looking for. The woman that worked with me was super friendly and helpful, so even though I'd heard some bad things in the past about DB, I'd defintely go there again.
  • I had an AWFUL experience with DB!!  But it was mostly the location I went to!!  I live in Mass and would not suggest going where I did!!  They sold me a dress that had the zipper detached from the dress in  a spot, a hole in the lace where it would just keep ripping!!  The consultant who put it on me twice NEVER said anything....so when the zipper was fixed, the dress didn't fit!!! I emailed corporate because I was pissed!!! They sent a new dress to a different store, which was flawless, and this is where I found out the deal with the zipper and that the dress didn't fit!!  I would highly suggest you don't get your alterations done at any davids bridal...they don't have high standards for their seamstresses!! 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_maine_thinking-of-davids-bridal-wedding-dress-brides-maids-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:98Discussion:cd14b7f5-8cda-4de2-ae0d-891f36cf7befPost:65e913e5-86b5-4847-ab2f-ee13146ad8c0">Re: Thinking of Davids Bridal for wedding dress and brides maids dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know others avoid it, but I used DB for both my dress and the BMs dresses and I had a great experience.  They were in my budget range more than some other local places, and I had BMs all over the place so I needed a place they all could easily access. I didn't have any dress purchase issues.  My dress was ordered and came in a month later. A few tips: If at all possible, schedule your appointment during the week on a day when most people are working or at night in the middle of the week.  I went around noon on a Wednesday afternoon and there was one other bride trying on dresses in the entire store.  I had tons of personal attention and didn't feel rushed. Avoid holidays and weekends.  That's when everyone is trying to get in there. I think most places that keep a tight schedule are going to start trying to "rush" you if the appointment is going way longer than it's supposed to and there are other people waiting.  When you make the appointment, ask how long they are scheduled for. Do your research ahead of time.  I went in with a list of dresses (printed from their website) and had them numbered in the order I wanted to try them on. 
    Posted by hcorrigan34[/QUOTE]

I second all of this. I know a lot of people have had issues with David's Bridal, but my experience was totally fine. I went to one in Ohio though, so I can't speak for the one in Portland.
    The other benefit about getting both your dress and your bridesmaid's dresses is that they get $$ off if you bought your dress there.

My initial decision to go with David's Bridal was driven by the fact that all my bridesmaid's were spread out across the US and that was one consistant place to go that everyone could get to easily.
    However, I had a fine experience without any problems.
  • I hated David's Bridal. Check out Bridals by Sandy in Alfred. No website, but she has a facebook. She's suuuper nice to work with, has everything Andrea's has, has great prices, sells sample dresses for virtually nothing, is zero pressure...she was just amazing. I got my prom dress there, my sister and I both purchased our wedding dresses from her. Check her out.
  • I went to David's a few weeks ago and found my perfect dress.  I had a great experience, but I think a lot of that had to do with my expectations when I went in.  I think if you're hoping for anything remotely like a Kleinfeld-esque experience, DB isn't for you.  I went by myself (odd, I know) and was pretty down to business.  But my consultant was very nice and pulled dress after dress for me like a pro.  When I found my dress, everyone was so kind and made a big fuss...made me feel very special. :)
  • I went to Dress Me Bridal in Waterville for my dress, it's a ballgown strapless, sweetheart neckline and I only payed 350 for it...they have great sales and a wide selection of both wedding and bridesmaid dresses but discounted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards