Maine
Options

Clay Hill Farm?

sjd3sjd3 member
First Comment
I'm thinking about booking my reception at Clay Hill Farm in Ogunquit-- has anyone been to a wedding there?  Any comments, advice or recommendations would be much appreciated!!  Thanks!

Re: Clay Hill Farm?

• Options
    mlhw NHmlhw NH member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    A friend had her wedding there and raved about it!  Our photographer Peter from Windswept Acres Photography has done a lot of weddings there.  When I mentioned Clay Hill he had nothing bad to say! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My sister's reception was there. Very beautiful and good food...she had about 125 people comfortably, although they have a "side room" with doors to the main area and windows (you can tell it's an addition) and we had some guests in there, so they were kind of "out of the party." No one complained about it though.
  • Options
    sjd3sjd3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your replies!  KabFrr-- was it crowded?  We are probably going to have a similar number of guests and when we looked at it, I can't imagine that many people and a dance floor all fitting... did everyone have enough room to move around comfortably? I hate going to events and being crammed in like sardines!  I saw that side room you were talking about, and I think we will definitely have to use it, did the people sitting out there feel left out of the party??
    Thanks so much, all of this feed back is so helpful!!
  • Options
    Iris4700Iris4700 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to a fantastic wedding there and the food was to die for. It was one of our top two but ultmately the venue we chose had the beach view that we were looking for. I love clay hill!
  • Options
    jennalynsjennalyns member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was the first place we went to when we were looking for wedding venues. The woman we met with had no interest in listening to what we wanted. She showed us where the receiving line would be, and when we said we didn't want a receiving line she looked at me like I was nuts, and reiterated where we would be putting the receiving line. We also really wanted a wedding with a variety of foods, not a formal seated dinner. Since the food is such a focal point there I thought they would be interested in showcasing the chef's specialties, but instead she looked at me again like I was nuts, and said, "We are KNOWN for our plated dinners."  

In the end, she finally mentioned that they'd had a bride who had a tasting menu, and we said YES that was definitely what we were thinking, and we talked a little bit about some ideas and flavors, but she wouldn't give us any information about it. All she would point to was what they had. 

My fiance and I were absolutely silent as we left, terrified that we would meet that kind of behavior everywhere. Thankfully the next six places we looked at were all wonderful.

This is a long way of saying if the Clay Hill packages look good to you as they are, do it. I keep hearing lots of great things about them. But if you want to do anything remotely off-book, don't bother. They just don't seem amenable to anything outside of what they deem to be okay.

Hilarious follow up: their website now mentions NEW for fall 2010 - hors d'ouevres wedding receptions! So. Um. Exactly what we wanted. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards