Maine

Email Save the Dates?

My fiance and I are getting married next summer but are on a serious budget (we just bought a house so our expenses have been put into that). We also both have HUGE families so our guest list is large just to start with. To save some money is it appropriate to send an email or call those guests who will have to make travel arrangements instead of sending out save the dates, then follow with the formal invitation later? Or should I bypass the save the dates all together and just send invitations early enough for travel arrangements to be made? I don't want to seem corny or tacky, but just the postage cost alone is terrifying!

Re: Email Save the Dates?

• edited December 2011
    Save the dates are not required, despite what the wedding industry would tell you. If you really want people to know ahead of time, I think email is fine. Or, if there are certain people (those who would have to travel, for instance) you want to make sure know way in advance, you could send them a little note or call them to give them a heads up.

But if it's a holiday weekend, when people may have standing vacation plans, I would send out save the dates. You could do it pretty inexpensively with postcards and postcard stamps, which are cheaper.

And congrats on the house!
    Anniversary
  • jdenormandiejdenormandie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We sent save the dates by email and everyone loved them! We had one person (my Nana) who does not own a computer so we printed a copy and mailed one to her physical address. It's still on her wall :)

Its also a good opportunity to go through your contacts and make updates as necessary.

More than happy to share our save the date with you if you wish.

• edited December 2011
    I think email is a great idea. Or, create a free wedding website and send them the link with all the details including local attractions, driving directions, etc. Put the money you'd save on save the dates towards another area of your reception!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards