Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

***Hey it's Jenn**

So what did you make with your huge zukes (if you don't mind me asking)?  Just curious, we got a gigantic one from my ILs (I'm thinking of making chocolate cake with that one) and some smaller ones from my parents.  Our plants are not doing well at all this year, lousy ground hog :-(

Re: ***Hey it's Jenn**

• Options
    hey_its_jennhey_its_jenn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha.  That thing was SO big - but it ended up making some really good food! We made the Zucchini Crisp but I haven't tasted it yet.  I made a zucchini casserole that had carrots and onions in it and that tasted really good.  I also made some chocolate chip zucchini bread and then some cheesy zucchini ... things... lol .. I don't know how to classify them but I found the recipe online and it was good! Everything turned out really well and I'm hoping for another (hopefully not THAT big) one next week - we have a farm at my work and they grow some huge stuff.  You should see some of the tomatoes!

Married 9/19/09
    Me: 27 // DH: 31
    TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)

October 2012: DH Dx: Testicular Cancer -- Left Orchiectomy
    December 2012: F/U CT Scan -- All clean!
    January 2013: Starting the adoption process!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    butting in:  I'm making zucchini bread with mine!  yum! But I also have recipes for cookies and cake and this weird pie that everyone think is apple pie- but its secretly zucchini
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome that you got so much out of it!  I think I'm stir frying the smaller ones.  LOL at the huge tomatoes!Sara, that sounds like the crisp is, it looks like dutch apple pie.  We've tricked my veggiephobic aunt into eating it (and the chocolate cake) and she didn't know the difference lol!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yeah- sounds like it! Thats funny that you got your aunt to eat it! I try not to tell people what it is- they just dont seem to like the idea of zuke pie oh- do you have the recipe for cheesy zucchini things? i'm curious to try that!  I'm not a fan of casserole- but could you pass on the zuke casserole if you get a chance as well? My Mom has huge zukes that she usually ends up just tossing
  • Options
    hey_its_jennhey_its_jenn member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here's the caserole: http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1850,137191-237201,00.htmlI'll have to give you the other one tonight.. I can't find it online :(

Married 9/19/09
    Me: 27 // DH: 31
    TTC # 1 Since October 2010 (Not preventing since 2009)

October 2012: DH Dx: Testicular Cancer -- Left Orchiectomy
    December 2012: F/U CT Scan -- All clean!
    January 2013: Starting the adoption process!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I wonder if you could do a zucchini parmasean the way some people use eggplant.  I am horrible at breading things though so I don't think I'm that adventurous!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh yum!  Thank-you! that's a good thought- come on- walk on the wild side! make some parmesan zuke! it sounds kinda good to me!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Whenever I attempt to bread all the breading comes off and sticks to the pan or (God forbid if I try to fry something) it floats in the cooking grease!  I can not bread with cooking oil, I can not bread with pans lined with foil.Practice and try as I might,I can not do my breading right!
  • Options
    EmilyBerdellEmilyBerdell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Butting in: I have an excellent zucchini lasagna recipe if anyone's interested! I will post it later on after I'm done cooking dinner (which I'm supposed to be doing now. LOL!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That sounds awesome, I'd love your recipe when you have time.  Enjoy cooking (and eating) your dinner!
  • Options
    EmilyBerdellEmilyBerdell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here you go! Zucchini Lasagna (From Just Like Mom Made cookbook from Reader's Digest) 1 lb ground beef 1 medium onion chopped 1 can tomato sauce (I used a 25 oz jar of store bought sauce) 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp. dried oregano 1/4 tsp. basil dash pepper 4 medium zucchini cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch strips (I used 1 giant one) 2 T flour, divided 1 c small curd cottage cheese 1 egg 1 c shredded mozzarella cheese 1/2 c grated parmesan Cook beef and onion in skillet over medium heat. Drain. Stir in sauce, salt, oregano, basil and pepper. Bring to boil reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes (uncovered) In a bowl, combine the cottage cheese and egg. Set aside. Spray a lasagna pan/baking dish with cooking spray. Layer in 1/2 zucchini. sprinkle w/ 1 T of flour. Spread all of the cottage cheese message on zucchini. Layer 1/2 sauce / meat mixture. Layer remaining zucchini and flour. Top with mozzarella cheese and the remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered at 375 for 40 min. or until heated through. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. This is DELICIOUS...and the leftovers are even better. It tastes just like lasagna and you don't get that I-just-ate-my-weight-in-pasta-bloated-feeling that you get from regular lasgana. My FI LOVED it. :)  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards