July 2013 Weddings

Do you have a planner? What do they do?

Just wondering because I have one and it's not exactly how I thought it would be.

Re: Do you have a planner? What do they do?

• I dont, but I do have a day of coordinator that I paid an extra fee from my venue for. After researching the too, I chose the day of coordinator because, while I am stressed planning, I knew the coordinator would be cheaper than having a planner and this way too hopefully I wont be too stressed on the day of.
  • I have a planner, too. And to be totally honest -- it wasn't what I was expecting either!! haha.

My planner is a "full service" coordinator. So she and I have done walk-throughs of the venue and bounced design ideas off of each other, she has helped me review contracts and stay on track with deposits, she contacts vendors for me and negotiates prices, she'll send me "to-do" lists that I have to update her of the status, she'll give all kinds of advice and support... etc.

But since we're still 5 mos out, there's not much hardcore work that she has to do yet, so we've only met twice, talked on the phone a few times, and emailed each other a bazillion times. Once we get closer, she'll be the one in charge of all the coordination of vendors, decor, all things that can "hit the fan", etc. And I told her that she is 100% in charge 5 days before the wedding because I don't need/want any stress that week. ha.

So. I don't know your personal situation with your planner, but it's possible that because it's still a little early, there just isn't much she can do for you yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• AmJam, thank you. Mine is full service, too. Without getting into specifics, I just thought she'd take more control over certain things. I'm sure you're right.about it being too early.

You and I are getting married the same weekend. My date is the 5th! I know it says a different date in my profile. I can't for the life of me figure out how to change it.
  • I don't have a planner, I am too much of a control freak lol. Please let me know your experiences with the planners go please.
  • Everyone I know that had a planner felt that they couldn't have done it without them and that they were an essential part of the process. However, there is always an exception to every rule. Mine is unresponsive, but then gets mad if we contact vendors directly. The 2 main things we wanted for her were help negotiating contracts and designing the room (flowers, stationery, props, tables, etc). However, she gets snotty if we don't want to take the first contract exactly as is for the vendors. I also feel that we do most of the work describing what we want to design-related vendors. I''m feeling very frustrated.  I'm hoping she will at least be helpful in coordinating the vendors the month/week/day of so we can have a fun, stress-free day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards