July 2013 Weddings

When to buy the dress?

There are so many sales coming up but I want to lose some weight before. Does anyone know when places like David's bridal have there big sale?
Thanks!

Re: When to buy the dress?

• Im no help as far as DB, I just wanted to say hi and welcome to the board! You may want to call and ask if they have anything coming up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I would call and ask.  I know some of the stores around here start their end of season sales in October.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I would buy soon. Most salons told me that 9 months is the absolute latest you want to order.

But, don't let the worries about losing weight keep you from buying. I was told that you can take a dress in 8 sizes, and still keep the integrity of the dress structure.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Training to be the next companion.

• To be safe, I'd think you'd need your dress by early November...
    Time is flying by!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• DB always has a lot of random sales ($50 off and things like that) but I don't know when their "big" sales are. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re:When to buy the dress?:[QUOTE]I would buy soon. Most salons told me that 9 months is the absolute latest you want to order.But, don't let the worries about losing weight keep you from buying. I was told that you can take a dress in 8 sizes, and still keep the integrity of the dress structure. Posted by CleverThought[/QUOTE]

this definitely buy at least 9 months out, I was quoted 6 months to get it ordered and delivered, plus time for alterations especially if you're planning to lose weight!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_when-to-buy-the-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:11ad489c-bbb6-426e-b05f-64b4bf2a4457Post:7434fa2a-b203-428f-9748-a0746e07c2f6">Re: When to buy the dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would buy soon. Most salons told me that 9 months is the absolute latest you want to order. But, don't let the worries about losing weight keep you from buying. <strong>I was told that you can take a dress in 8 sizes, and still keep the integrity of the dress structure.</strong>
    Posted by CleverThought[/QUOTE]

<div>Where did you hear that?  We were always told +/- 2 sizes for garment alterations in class. That's probably for basic alterations though.  If I were going to take a gown down 8 sizes I would probably end up reconstructing it.</div>
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_when-to-buy-the-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:11ad489c-bbb6-426e-b05f-64b4bf2a4457Post:a848e841-ee1a-46e3-816a-20a559996af4">Re: When to buy the dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: When to buy the dress? : Where did you hear that?  We were always told +/- 2 sizes for garment alterations in class. That's probably for basic alterations though.  If I were going to take a gown down 8 sizes I would probably end up reconstructing it.
    Posted by flutterbride2b[/QUOTE]
    The head of the alterations department when I was dress shopping. They told me that because I was anxious about sizing. I, of course, am no alterations expert, or even a novice. I just go by what they said.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Training to be the next companion.

• So it's safe to say 6months is a good time frame to buy a dress before your date?
    Wedding Countdown TickerVisit The Knot!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_when-to-buy-the-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:11ad489c-bbb6-426e-b05f-64b4bf2a4457Post:f07e93e2-5f15-4ba7-807a-c5510a7f4d0e">Re: When to buy the dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So it's safe to say 6months is a good time frame to buy a dress before your date?
    Posted by JG&MD2013[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I think the general rule is 9 months.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_when-to-buy-the-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:11ad489c-bbb6-426e-b05f-64b4bf2a4457Post:7434fa2a-b203-428f-9748-a0746e07c2f6">Re: When to buy the dress?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I was told that you can take a dress in 8 sizes, and still keep the integrity of the dress structure.
    Posted by CleverThought[/QUOTE]

One of my sister's bridesmaids bought a dress that was 8-10 sizes too big beacuse she thought she would be pregnant. They had to take it in so much beacuse she wasn't. It looked ridiculous on her ;/ However, I would def ask the salon where you buy the dress. Their seamstresses would know the best. It could be that this girl didn't want to spend the money to get the good alterations done.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards