July 2013 Weddings

July 3, 2013- how will guests feel?

So we found our dream venue (The Stone House in Warren, NJ) and both knew as soon as we stepped inside that this was the place where we wanted to be married.

But Saturday night weddings are crazy expensive and since we're Jewish, we can't get married on a Friday night. Sunday afternoons are affordable, but we wanted a nighttime wedding! Ahhhh :)

The resolution? We are going to get married on July 3rd. Yes, it's a Wednesday, but before everyone freaks out I kind of figured that since everyone was off from work the next day it would be ok? Plus they still have their 4th of July open. This way we can have our coveted evening wedding with a Sunday price tag!

I have been worrying a lot about this though. Will people be annoyed? Everyone has been telling us that the people who actually matter and really care about being at our wedding won't be bothered at all, but I'm still anxious. What are your thoughts on a (Wednesday) July 3rd wedding?

Re: July 3, 2013- how will guests feel?

• I think you'll need to be prepared to have a lot of people RSVPing no. I do think that your closest friends and family will still attend if they're able to, but some people may find it hard because it is in the middle of the week and some people may plan on going out of town for July 4th.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • I agree with PP. However, it really depends on the situation and the amount of travel involved for the guests. My friends are getting married on a Tuesday because they picked the date and didn't care about the day of the week. They will be getting married on the west coast, so I will have to fly out but it is wroth it to be at their wedding. 
  • Yeah I hope it will be okay! We're very lucky that almost all of our friends and family live within a 30 minute driving distance from our venue, so it's not like they would have to travel far at all. I'm making sure I send out save the dates soon though, because even though it's so far away I want to give people plenty of time!
  • Give people pleanty of notice.  You may have some people decline for the holiday, but the people who *want* to be there will be there regardless of the day of the week.  

Ours is currently looking like a Thursday, but it works out well for us and our guests.  My parents have to take off work 1 week at a time anyways, so doing it in the middle of the week is actually going to help them because they won't have to worry about hurrying home to go back to work right away.  A BM has to fly across-country and the mid-week wedding should land her cheaper flights.  People are going to have to travel regardless, and for many of our prospective guests it'll be easier to take off time in the middle of the week rather than on a weekend.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • It is a bit of a concern however as everyone has already said only the ones who matter will attend. Remember, no matter what day or night you choose there will always be those who "can't" make it and some who don't even show. Definately give people enough time and send out save the dates early. 
  • I agree with all PP's. It is important to get the word out early because some people reserve rolling holiday camping trips etc, sometimes a couple years in advance.

BUT I would NOT send STD's out until about 6-9 months before. Unless you have your guest list down pat and know for a fact that you will not be changing it in any way, shape, or form. It would be embarrasing to send one to people who you later cut from your guest list for budgetary reasons. Spread your date by word of mouth until then. It should be fairly easy if you say they all live pretty close by.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2012
    Hello! I am actually also thinking of getting married on July 3, 2013! I had the same thought that because July 4th is a holiday, most people would be free, and it would be a way to keep costs down by having it mid-week. As a new bride to be who has just started planning, I was wondering if you have noticed if prices for vendors, etc., are much cheaper for a mid-week wedding as compared to a weekend wedding? Also I had a thought that possibly some brides would shy away from getting married in 2013 because of the "13" bad luck element to the date, and thus vendors and venues might be cheaper because of this as well. Has anyone noticed if this is this is the case? Thanks!
  • I was searching on google to see what people thought of a July 3rd wedding...I am doing the same thing! In the end people who truly love you will be there and the iffy ones you weren't sure to invite or not May decline and keep numbers and cost down even more! :) I'm trying to think I more convience for my guests...the wednesday or the Friday? What do you guys think? Or should I not even think about them and think about me and my budget?!!
  • The prices have definitely been MUCH better because of the date! We could not afford the Saturday night price at the venue that we fell in love with, but for July 3rd, they charged us the equivalent of a Sunday afternoon. Now we get to have our dream venue at night :)

Eyebrows get raised when we tell people our date, but as everyone has previously said, the people who we love are coming without any problems. We are lucky that most of our guests are relatively local and are off from work the next day (July 4th!). Good luck!
  • Hi everyone!

I am getting married 7/3/13! I LOVE the idea of having it during the week. It saves so much money! I honestly was worried about the guest coming or not. As everyone else said, it will keep cost low if they do not attend. I kind of look at it as a destination wedding (even though ours isn't far from home). Most people that have destination weddings, have to fly out the day before if they want to be there. Even guests sometimes have to make travel arrangements that make them come out the day before. If people know about it ahead of time, they will make arrangements to come.  All in all, your marrying your best friend, I know I am. As long as the most important people are there, it shouldn't matter. Plus having the holiday the next day and everyone having off helps too. Its almost like having it on a friday evening! So you go girl, I'm right there with you :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards