July 2013 Weddings
Options

Outdoor brides! Looking for opinions.

Since July is usually the hottest month I was wonder: How are you keeping your guest cool?

Only our ceremony will be outside, and then we're falling back to a building for the reception. However, the building doesn't have AC, only ceiling fans. We plan on having cold water available at all times, and was thinking about investing in folding fans as favors instead of bulbs like I had originally planned. 

Any other ideas?
PersonalMilestone Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Outdoor brides! Looking for opinions.

• Options
    Our whole wedding is outdoors. #1 I am praying for PERFECT weather lol #2 we will have umbrellas set up to shade guests for the ceremony and cocktail hour and the reception is under a tent #3 I bought fans to give the guests as they arrive #4 lots of cold drinks available! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We'll have cold drinks available from the time they arrive until the time they leave. We'll also provide folding fans for during the ceremony. I'm also pretty sure the venue has a pergola sort of thing over the ceremony deck which should help provide some shade -- but the ceremony in total will be MAX 20 minutes (more like 10-15) so we're not too worried about guests being in direct sun for too long.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    We're a little worried about that, but we're taking similar precautions to everyone else.  There will be a table with cold water available, and folding paper fans.  We're trying to keep a good balance between a meaningful ceremony, and one that doesn't take too long! I'm not too worried about our local guests, they're used to the heat, but half the family is flying in from Wisconsin!

Right after the ceremony people get to move inside.
  • Options
    lol So I take it the fans are a good/popular idea?

And I agree on the short ceremony idea. Yes it should be meaningful, but there is really no reason to draw it out for forever. 
    PersonalMilestone Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_outdoor-brides-looking-for-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:28308bd9-1669-4246-8094-e47d73bd49b2Post:1b0fac0a-ccda-48ae-b9fe-f9b884324a0a">Re: Outdoor brides! Looking for opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're a little worried about that, but we're taking similar precautions to everyone else.  There will be a table with cold water available, and folding paper fans.  We're trying to keep a good balance between a meaningful ceremony, and one that doesn't take too long! I'm not too worried about our local guests, they're used to the heat, but half the family is flying in from Wisconsin! Right after the ceremony people get to move inside.
    Posted by Gabrielle76[/QUOTE]
    I see you're from my neck of the woods! Where is your venue located??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_outdoor-brides-looking-for-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:28308bd9-1669-4246-8094-e47d73bd49b2Post:57ff5487-2272-4019-9c3a-7ba6b1fd37df">Re: Outdoor brides! Looking for opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]lol So I take it the fans are a good/popular idea? And I agree on the short ceremony idea. Yes it should be meaningful, but there is really no reason to draw it out for forever. 
    Posted by danielm18[/QUOTE]

We actually have kind of a 'short version' or a 'long version' for our ceremony.  We're going to do a handfasting ceremony to start, If it's like, 85 or under.  If it's closer to 90 or above, we'll skip it.

And AmJam, my wedding is in the sacramento area, but I live further north.  You?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_outdoor-brides-looking-for-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:28308bd9-1669-4246-8094-e47d73bd49b2Post:8d603e63-b38f-45cf-a627-ef0254a113a7">Re: Outdoor brides! Looking for opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outdoor brides! Looking for opinions. : We actually have kind of a 'short version' or a 'long version' for our ceremony.  We're going to do a handfasting ceremony to start, If it's like, 85 or under.  If it's closer to 90 or above, we'll skip it. And AmJam, my wedding is in the sacramento area, but I live further north.  You?
    Posted by Gabrielle76[/QUOTE]
    Ooooh, so you're an "actual" northern California bride! Yeah, Sac may be tricky with the heat in July. I hope your day is pleasant temperatures only!

I'm in the Bay area with the wedding in Napa. Sort of hit and miss with the temps there, but hopefully it won't be too miserable in the evening hours!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    In Response to Re:Outdoor brides! Looking for opinions.:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outdoor brides! Looking for opinions.:In Response to Re: Outdoor brides! Looking for opinions. : We actually have kind of a 'short version' or a 'long version' for our ceremony.nbsp; We're going to do a handfasting ceremony to start, If it's like, 85 or under.nbsp; If it's closer to 90 or above, we'll skip it. And AmJam, my wedding is in the sacramento area, but I live further north.nbsp; You?Posted by Gabrielle76Ooooh, so you're an "actual" northern California bride! Yeah, Sac may be tricky with the heat in July. I hope your day is pleasant temperatures only! I'm in the Bay area with the wedding in Napa. Sort of hit and miss with the temps there, but hopefully it won't be too miserable in the evening hours! Posted by AmJam04[/QUOTE]

We live in San Francisco, are getting married in Sausalito and are moving to sacramento soon after! Small world :

Oh yeah, and were doing program fans too :
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We're having our ceremony outdoors. It won't start until 6pm so it should be cooler by then (at least the sun won't be beating down) and we're keeping it short. We're considering having water bottles available for guests as they arrive to the ceremony, and possible fan programs. Luckily, our reception will be in air conditioning!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_outdoor-brides-looking-for-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:28308bd9-1669-4246-8094-e47d73bd49b2Post:9e09a063-4c49-44da-839a-0eb1de213075">Re: Outdoor brides! Looking for opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having our ceremony outdoors. It won't start until 6pm so it should be cooler by then (at least the sun won't be beating down) and we're keeping it short. We're considering having water bottles available for guests as they arrive to the ceremony, and possible fan programs. Luckily, our reception will be in air conditioning!
    Posted by Beads921[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>We're doing the same...Starting the ceremony after the heat has dissipated to some degree...Hoping that at 630pm when we start it'll be less hot...The cocktail hour is also outside and we'll be heading inside around 8pm to start the reception and avoid the bugs!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards