July 2013 Weddings
Options

What are you tinkering with/working on?

(sorry if this is kind of long!)  Hey all!  Been gone for a bit because I've kind of forgotten about wedding planning lately (well, not really, but I've been busy with other things).  I just started another temp job within my company and looking to see what full-time/long-term opportunities might present themselves when that finishes out!  Good stuff happening there, so I've been too busy to do too much wedding-related except putting money in the wedding fund!  But, now I'm starting to think more and I'm curious what you all are currently working on and I'm looking for some feedback on a couple things.  So, what's new? :)

Here's what I've been up to:

-Finally paid a deposit on our photographer at the end of March.  I'm excited to work with her!  FI was reluctant to come to the signing meeting, but he did negotiate with her a little on the contract.  We got a good deal because of that and also because FI went to school and was good friends with our photographer, so she was more willing to concede to his requests.

-I'm now a member of my church and will be booking that church soon.  I'm so excited about this!  I love my new church and the pastor is a really cool guy/awesome speaker.  They even have a bell choir that I've joined!  Yippee!

-FI has been working with our DJ quite a bit.  FI works for his dad's store that sells professional sound and light equipment and they just sold a set of really nice, new speakers and some lights to our DJ.  They have the new speakers sitting in their showroom right now and they sound pretty sweet.  FI is actually in Fargo right now with our DJ.  They're looking at something to do with the DJ's lighting truss.  FI will be working and mixing with our DJ on other events in the area too.  Sounds like we're going to have a rockin' party with this guy!

-Thinking about the ceremony.  My cousin's fiance will be singing for us and I'm trying to decide what to have her sing.  The church doesn't allow secular music during the ceremony and all the "traditional" songs are so cliche to me.  I found this (<-clicky) song, Something Beautiful by Newsboys, that I like.  It's not too slow, not too "churchy" and I imagine my future cousin-in-law's voice would match the style very well.  What do you think?  Also, do you think it would be too much to have 2 "special music" songs?  I want her to sing a song, but I kind of want a different one played (just instrumental) while we light our unity candle.

-Thinking about wedding dress shopping.  I kind of want to have a "big shopping experience" with my closest female relatives (mom, sister, FMIL, FSIL, my aunt/godmother and her daughter/my cousin, and both my grandmas) at the bridal shop where my mom got her wedding dress.  I've been looking at a lot of dress pictures (I got the Knot Magazine's big fashion issue... wee!), but it's hard to decide what I ultimately want!  FMIL suggested that a smaller group of us go and look at a place more local to get ideas.  We may do the big group thing at the begining of June.

-Thinking about invitation wording.  Both my mom and FMIL like the "together with their families" wording.  This is my initial idea:

Together with their parents,
Gina and Jerrold XXX
and
Paula and Thomas XXX,
Emily Ruth XXX
and
Andrew Thomas XXX
request the honor of your presence
at the ceremony uniting them in marriage.

Friday, July 5th
two thousand thirteen
at half past four in the afternoon
XXX Lutheran Church
XXX, Wisconsin

Reception to Follow at
XXX Country Club
XXX, Wisconsin

I haven't decided yet if I like it like this, or perhaps with our names first then parents'. (i.e. Emily and Andy, together with their parents...) and I don't know if I like the "ceremony uniting them in marriage" part... the wording just seems a bit awkward somehow.  Luckily I've got some time!

-I've been getting a lot of cool detail ideas from Pinterest and Etsy.  Looking forward to implimenting and DIY-ing some of those!  Check out my wedding board for details! (My fav right now is the "Mr." and "Mrs." forks... such fun!)  I'm also loving all the flowergirl details I've found so far.  Looks like we're going to have 2 flowergirls: 1) my (now 6, will be 7-year-old) cousin/daughter of my godmother and 2) FI's cousin's (now 4 will be 5-year-old) daughter.  It took me a while to convince FI it would be okay to have 2!  He thought we had to pick one or the other.  He was trying to convince me that my cousin would be too old!

I feel like it's way too early to be thinking about ceremony songs and invitation wording, but I know it'll be time to think about those more soon.  Anyone else feel like they're doing things "too early" or "out of order"?
~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: What are you tinkering with/working on?

• Options
    I'm working on my invitations right now too, I think I finally have them all designed.  My loving family didn't really like the save the dates I bought, so we're going for something different.  I understood their complaint, but arg.  So that's my big project right now. 
  • Options
    great checks lady! I have also stared on my invites, toasting glasses, table numbers, bought shoes, having a discussion about the officiant, planning to book photog and venue in two weeks, and picked out songs for important moments. I've been out of order for a while, but I want to get all the big stuff done before Sept. I am also doing the " along with the parents" wording. I think they family will like this as well. Nope, don't think you are too early, as I read early on the recommend time to plan a wedding is 16 months, so I think we are good. People make that comment all the time...we have time. But thing is Jan 2013 will be here in a sec and looking for a job, moving, and planning a wedding all at the same time won't be fun, so planning now will be helpful later.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • Options
    I'm working on trying to save + pay off debt at the same time.  Our goal is to be debt free aside from our mortgage, FI's car, and my SLs the day after our wedding.   Our bank has this neat savings option where you can set aside $1 everytime you swipe your debit card.

It would be sooo much easier if things would stop breaking, like the dryer, whose heating element has decided to burn out.  And FI's car door, who some dumb _____ flung into with her boyfriends SUV door and didn't seem to give a crap.

Not a lot of checks here atm.  Been working on the layout for my pocketfolds, need to finish up my bouquet mock-up.  Not a lot I can do vendor-wise until FI decides if he wants to go down there both in June with the kids and in August by ourselves.  It would be easier to have appointments with vendors in August without the kids but it would also be nice to have that 8-week later back-up in case we can't fit everything in in June.  Plus their grandparents will be there to entertain them while we do "boring" wedding stuff.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • Options
    I just spent nearly 4 hours looking for and wording the program booklet template. What a PITA that was!  We're having a full catholic mass so thanks to google and youtube I now have my music and reading choices out of the way. Now I just have to find cardstock and some pretty paper to put it all together.. I think I'm done for today though, my butts sore.. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    i'm with you flutter. been trying to split every paycheck in thirds to save, spend and pay down debt. i'm the girl who turned 18a nd said yes to every credit card offer!! i've gotten it down to 2, but they're the biggest baddest credit cards i own! my exciting thing for the week is that i think i've found my venue!!! we went yesterday to this gorgeous hall in Sausalito, and met with the wedding coordinator there. it is GORGEOUS, and would be a garden ceremony in this fantastic architectural space, and then the reception in the hall upstairs which is designed almost like a modern barn, with a high ceiling, great acoustics and beautiful rafters which we can decorate with lights and lanterns. the best part? it's the most affordable place we've looked at! we can't book it until July, but we're 99% sure it's the place for us!! pics:

Garden:

Hall:

Patio for Cocktail Hour!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    That's really pretty missquela!  We can't book until a year out either, I know the pain :)
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat as flutter and quela - can't book until July either! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_july-2013-weddings_what-are-you-tinkering-withworking-on?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a322ad2c-25cd-4d52-b123-096e1e4ecda5Discussion:4c33da9c-4fc9-4568-92c1-b033d068ad44Post:8929a989-3c2d-4dec-9494-2df7a6999bdd">Re: What are you tinkering with/working on?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in the same boat as flutter and quela - can't book until July either! 
    Posted by Chels&Jimmy[/QUOTE]

<div>On the bright side, I know no one else has booked our venue yet...because they can't :)</div>
  • Options
    so true! you bet your buttons we're faxing in the contract on July 1st! :) it's crazy how quickly time is passing...i'm so relieved to have this major check taken care of!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    So happy to hear of other people who can't book until July! It's really killing me. We are waiting because that's when FI graduates from basic combat training with the Army (he left two days ago and I already miss him so much :( ) and because I'll know about my grad school situation by now. For now, I am working on the contract with our venue, which includes all our food/bar/linen/silverware options. Seriously - their proposed contract included the exact price for every piece of silverware. Hopefully we can negotiate them a little closer to our desired price, because we just love everything about them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    I haven't done anything for the wedding yet. I have my dress, photography and my venue, but that is it. I feel like I am so behind! My photographer did email me the other day to set up our engagement photo shoot!!! I'm really excited for that :) I guess I need to get started on some wedding stuff! I just need to graduate college (two weeks!!!) and start working so I can start planning and buy things for the wedding!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @NateandJustine, you are 1 step ahead of me!  Even though I've been thinking about stuff, the only things I have for sure are my venue and photographer!  I wish I had my dress!  But, that's next.  I'm so excited to go dress shopping... it's the part I've been most looking forward to!

@Missquela, I love your venue!  I especially love the cocktail hour patio!  I don't think I could stand it if I could only book a year out... thankfully my venue is already set because otherwise I'd be stressing about it!
    ~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
    My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    @Justine!! that is NOT nothing, i have none of those!! haha. congratulations on your graduation!!

@Emmy thank you thank you thank you yep, it's why i picked the venue. it's actually just adjacent to the main hall (on the right of that picture i posted) so the doors open out to that patio... so excited!
  • Options
    @emmyroo They only reason I got my dress was because it was the first dress I tried on and knew it was the one and my parents paid for it. I thought that I wouldnt find anything that I liked, but I got lucky!

@ Missquela Thanks!! I can't wait to be done school! I just wish I had more stuff done, it seems like some people have a ton of stuff done. I feel behind lol. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards