July 2013 Weddings
Options

STD

Just wondering when everyone is thinking about sending out their STD? I know TK recommends 6-8 months out but I was thinking since July is a big vacation month and the the 4th being a holiday to send them out around 1 year out so that everyone has time to plan vacations. Especially since a lot of the guest list will have to make travel arrangements. Is 1 year too early for the STD?

Re: STD

• Options
    My thinking is the same as yours. I'm planning on sending mine out in May! It is a busy time of year and my wedding date is the weekend after the 4th. We are getting married at a resort on Cape Cod and many people are going to want to stay for a couple of nights. Since it's a busy time of year and a busy vacationing spot, we are sending ours as early as possible. PLUS, we can only get 10 rooms blocked at a time, so the earlier the first 10 book, the more likely we are to get an additional 10. We were informed that the resort books up quickly so to get people the information asap.

I think that if you have the date and accommodation information, your guests will appreciate the advanced notice! :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I was actually just looking at a checklist in a different wedding magazine and they did say that STDs were supposed to go out around the year mark, unlike TK. And PPs are right, July is a big vacation month. I say send them out whenever it makes the most sense for your guests/location/date/etc.!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    I really think a year is too far in advance. I'd go 9 months, max. A year ahead, no one knows what they're going to be doing, and might even lose the STD long before the invitation arrives. I don't know too many people who plan much more than 6 months out anyway. 

At this point, almost everyone we really want to come already knows the date, and if they don't, they likely will in the near future via word of mouth anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • Options
    keyaira04keyaira04 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited March 2012
    I am sending ours out in lieu of Christmas/Season greetings. While family & the wedding party know now, and the date will be annouced in August, we have received feedback that most time-off request will be asked for at the start of the year. So our first greeting card we send out as a family will be our STD to those invited. That's about 7 months in advance.

Edit: Plus, we are not taking our engagement photos until the 1st of August. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Fitness goals tickers
  • Options
    Our STDs will go out between October and December.  That's just because I currently have no idea when we're going to be able to do engagement pictures.  And also because July is busy and I think it's nice to give people a pretty advanced notice.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    I think one year is a little too soon, to be honest. I think we're doing ours sometime in October (we're not doing our pictures until September).
  • Options
    owengirl996owengirl996 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I'm majorly lurking here lol But we are getting married in July of this year (excuse my messed up siggy), and sent our STDs out at the end of January/beginning of February. So far, this was plenty of time in advance. We are getting married where I grew up, 900 miles away so we knew a lot of people would have to make travel plans. Like a PP said, pretty much every knew via word of mouth before.

However, we changed our date in January! We were originally getting married in August, but I had two BMs get pregnant and they are/were (one miscarried) due within days of our original date, so we moved it. I just caution that something like this could happen. I'm SO glad we waited to send our STDs because of this. You never know what can happen!!

I wanted to add that February is a bit late, but I probably wouldn't go more than 9 months out. A lot of girls over on July 2012 sent them around November/December.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    I think every situation is different and unique. It seems as though many brides-to-be are comfortable waiting for the year mark and even closer to their wedding date. In my situation, we were told to send ours out asap, pretty much. The last thing I want is guests trying to book rooms and not being able to. I think that whatever you choose to do will be right for you and your scenerio. :)
  • Options
    We're doing e-pics down where we're planning on getting married in either June or August.  The exact timing will depend on when we get pics back and I can throw something together and printed from VP, but it will be no sooner than 1 year out.  We're also planning a DW on an "off day" so the earlier the better for us.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards