Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

First Gown Fitting today...

Is there anything that I should ask? I feel like I am so unprepared, I dont have undergarments or shoes yet,but they told me that especially shoes are not a big deal because I am going with flats and they have a zillion styles there.... ugh...Is anything I should ask?Is there anything you married ladies wish you had done or asked about that you didn't?Thanks!!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: First Gown Fitting today...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I think it's pretty important to have all of your undergarments to try on with the dress! Do you know what kind of alterations you need yet? I don't know how accurate of a fit you could get without them...I'd also make sure you get an estimate of the price, or an exact price if you can (my seamstress was up front and told me exactly how much). Also, see how many fittings you'll need and get a general idea of when you'll have to go back. That's about all I can think of...have fun trying your dress on again!
  • Options
    pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have fun trying on your gown! They should guide you through the process... My seamstress ended up sewing cups into my gown, so I didn't need a bra.  This may be an option for you.  They also had shoes at the store that I used (and ended up buying).  Maybe you'll find a pair that you love with your gown!
  • Options
    themissizzthemissizz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Many shops sell undergarments.  If you don't have yours yet, be prepared to buy them from the shop.  I bought some options ahead of time but then just ended up buying a longline bra from One Enchanted Evening because it worked better with my dress.

11-15-08
    12-1-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went with bra cups also, so I didn't need undergarments.  Wait a minute, no I didn't.  I didn't have cups or a bra, I just wore the dress as is, haha.Basically I tried on the dress, she pinned, told me when to come back, and I paid her right then (she was independent of the bridal shop.)The bustle part of my dress did drag a little, but I wanted it that way.  Make sure you're happy with how it is when they pin it, because it will look the same after it is sewn.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    For my first gown fitting I just brought my shoes with me. At that point I had no idea what I wanted for undergarments.  Trying the dress on is what helped me decide what I was comfortable with. I actually didnt have undergarments until my final fitting a few days before the wedding (I went bra-less and wore spanx on the bottom).  At the first fitting I decided I wanted to add a slip under my dress to give it even more poof, so be prepared to make any decisions like that. Other than that, have fun! :) I looooved trying on my gown for the first time!
  • Options
    reannalynnereannalynne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks! :)I am hoping to have cups sewn in to the gown, but we will see how that will go.  When I bought the gown it fit close to perfect and only needed shortened and bustled, but we will see. I don't think my weight has changed, but I'm not sure.  I am also not sure about a slip, because my gown is already kind of full and I don't know if i want it any fuller...We will see what they recommend though, i guess!I wish I wasn't going myself, though, but my sister (MOH) works, my mom wont be there til at least a half hour into the fitting, and i might be done by then, who knows, and my bridesmaid will be at work also.  FI works, and my mom would die if he was there anyway, and the groomsman and best man (we are both really close to them) ALSO both work, and that would just be weird to go with them anyway.would it be strange to ask FMIL to go with me? I'm just not confident enough on what something will look like and i'm afraid ill agree to something just because they push it.. usually i am not one to do that but since this is such a big thing and they are the professionals, i dont know... just nervous I guess because this means the wedding is close!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know my MIL would have loved to be there, so you should definitely ask her if you're comfortable with the idea!  My fittings did not take very long.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I also just had cups sewn in and I just wore regular underwear...but I took my slip with me. Have fun & Good luck!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    for those of you that had cups sewn in, did you feel secure enough'?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did...I never even thought about it! But I'm pretty small...haha. I really only had them sewn in to fill out the dress a little more!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My dress had a corset back.  It was pulled so tight, nothing was going anywhere!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmm.. mine isnt a corset back, so i guess ill just have to see how it feels when i try it on again today...
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also small on top and actually had to have multiple cups sewn in to fill it out. Haha.  I guess I'm not much help.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well i definitely won't have an issue filling it out, thats for sure. The lady at the bridal place i am getting the alterations done at seemed to think cups would work for me, but she also wasnt the seamstress, just who set up the appointments.ugh. i wish this would just fit me when i bought it so i could be done. why cant i be taller and fit into gowns perfectly?on that note, I am so jealous, my bridesmaid bought her dress at davids bridal in a size 4 and needs NOTHING done to it AT ALL.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also going braless and cupless, and wearing regular boy short undies underneath. The seamstresses when I went told me to make sure to have the shoes (for heel height) and undies so that they could pin it exactly. I also took the crinoline I'm wearing with me. If the store sells them, it should be no problem though!Have fun!!!!
  • Options
    McBridetobeMcBridetobe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have fun!  :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I am back from the fitting, next one is Sept 14th.  I am ordering my shoes this weekend from the bridal shop-- they are ones i was looking at online but are cheaper at the shop.  I couldn't believe how much the alterations were, I hope we didn't pay too much, my aunt was there to "supervise" and seems to think it wasn't too bad.  (she is also a seamstress, but not quite confident enough to do wedding gowns.. she is altering the two bridesmaid dresses though)If you don't mind me asking, what did you all pay for your alterations? The top of mine is being taken in, cups added,  hemmed from the waist, bustled, and steamed...if you would prefer to email, Reannalynne AT gmail DOT com :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's great that you don't need too much done. And, finding your shoes cheaper at a bridal shop, that never happens! I had my top and waist taken in 6 sizes (don't ask why it was ordered too big - stupid shop), had stays removed from the cups, which then caused the cups to need to be taken in, a very slight hem, on a lace bottom (which involved having to take the bottom layer of lace off then putting it back on), panel added to the V-neck, bustle, and steaming - $100.00. My seamstress was amazing, but she's in NJ. She gets great reviews over on the South Jersey boards, and she soooooo deserves it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had my dress hemmed at the waist, the bustle, and the front made into a sweetheart neckline for $115.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow... sounds like i paid too much :S oh well, its too late now.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine was $50 for bustle and cups.  Glad everything worked out for you and you found shoes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards