July 2013 Weddings
Options

FMIL vent.

Back when FI and I first got engaged FMIL had mentioned that she wanted to put an announcement in the papar. I told her I didn't care for the idea and I because I hadn't heard anything since I figured she dropped the idea. Personally, I think it's pointless and don't care to have my picture for all the see.
Yesterday we were all at their house for father's day and she mentioned that since our e-pics were in she'd like to not only put in one of the pictures but also write the little blurb about us too. I know she's really happy because FI is her only child but I can't believe this is back up for discussion.
  Back when I worked on another floor of the hospital this one group at lunch would always nitpick and make fun of all the couples in the paper. I do not want to be part of that, especially since that group of people didn't care for me to begin with.
 She wasn't backing down and I didn't want to be a spectactle at the family dinner, so I finally kind of gave in and told her if she really wants to do it then she's only allowed to put it in the local town paper only and not the 2 other larger ones (for the surrounding area)
(Keep in mind  the convo was light hearted..we weren't argueing at all, she's very easy to talk to and laid back, sometimes borderline "umm..thats kinda dirty".

On a side note, while writing this, I realize that it is a bit trivial to be upset at her. But at the same time, she could have at least asked me for approval on the blurb or have me write it instead. Am I wrong with wanting at least that?

thank you for letting me b*tch  =)
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: FMIL vent.

• Options
    i think you should have final say on what she writes.  but on good side at least she brought it back up to you and FI, she coulda just put it in paper where you open up paper and THERE YOU ARE lol
  • Options
    I agree with southerncutie - at least she kept asking! And if anyone makes fun of it, they're losers and don't matter anyway :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a good thing she asked and didn't just put it in without your permission.  But I think it's totally fine that you want to control what information about you is shared and where!  I mean, it actually is personal information and can be kind of specific, depending on how much people include.  I get that she's excited and stuff, but you should still be in control of what is shared about you, especially with the general public.  Maybe say she can mail an announcement to whoever on earth she wants after the wedding (like a card or whatever those wedding announcements are like - I've never actually received one), but you'd rather not have an announcement in the paper.
    ~How long do you want to be loved? Is forever enough?~
    My Planning Bio (last updated 10/6/12)

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Everyone that she talks to already knows about the wedding so Im not sure what an announcement can possibly change for her. * insert careless shrug here*

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Well if your FMIL is anything like my mother, having it in the paper is a HUGE deal. I will have been engaged for 3 years by the time the announcement she wrote is going in the paper. I think everyone who is important to me obviously will know I am engaged by that point. But for some reason, it is crazy important to her to have it in the paper. and not only that, but she wants like, 10 copies. It wasn't something I originally wanted to have, but it was so important to her, I didn't have the heart to tell her no. I think you handled it well :)
    July 2013 Knotties June Siggy Challenge - Location, Location, Location!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Green Lantern Inn, in Beautiful Fairport, NY!
  • Options
    In Response to Re:FMIL vent.:[QUOTE]Well if your FMIL is anything like my mother, having it in the paper is a HUGE deal. I will have been engaged for 3 years by the time the announcement she wrote is going in the paper. I think everyone who is important to me obviously will know I am engaged by that point. But for some reason, it is crazy important to her to have it in the paper. and not only that, but she wants like, 10 copies. It wasn't something I originally wanted to have, but it was so important to her, I didn't have the heart to tell her no. I think you handled it well : Posted by as4119[/QUOTE]

Thanks! This makes a lot of sense. I appreciate it :

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    maybe its also her way of being part of the wedding and having a lil input.  maybe she thinks she not stepping on toes and being over the top like if she insisted on something in the ceremony or reception itself. 
  • Options
    I know my mom and my FMIL really want it too.  I could care less by this point like as4119 mentioned I do not see the point everyone already knows.  We have been dating for 5 years and discussing a wedding date for 2.  The only way you don't know is if you just don't know us that well.  But for some reason my mom wants like 10 copies too.  She did the same thing this past September for my brother's wedding.  I guess it's a traditional thing and they want to see their babies picture in the paper.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards