September 2012 Weddings
Options

My 1st interview!

Ok girls, its really my second interview EVER! Im scared to death. I didn't have any time to put together anything as far as a power outfit or do practice runs. Ts & Ps needed today! It is at 1:30. Any tips, advice or answers to some questions they ask in interviews that have worked for you? TIA! I hope it works out I really need this to support my family and our wedding!

Re: My 1st interview!

• Options
    Good luck!

The main thing that has worked for me is to stay honest and don't act like you know everything.  For example, if they ask you a question that you really don't have an answer to (pertaining to the work itself... i.e. do you know how to do such and such?)  just say something along the lines of you don't know but you are a quick learner, etc.  A lot of potential employers like to see that someone is trainable vs. someone already thinks they know everything about everything.  

Be yourself, deep breaths, and best of luck!  
  • Options
    Its been a long time since I've had an interview so I don't have the best advice. But how about some simple things that are super easy to remember-- eye contact, smile, research the company a little and don't talk too much. My first interview I talked waaaay too much. I got the job but a few months after I was hired, my supervisor told me she could tell I was nervous for that reason.

Good luck! You'll do great!
  • Options
    Best advice I got came from a knottie on here actually hahaha, and its a goofy but great way to build your confidence... where your best underwear ;) lol No one will know but you, but you'll feel 100 times better :)

Just be honest and be yourself. Be sure if given the opportunity to share your strengths and don't let it feel like you're bragging, if they ask and that's the answer, that's what they want to hear... or they wouldn't be asking :)
  • Options
    Good luck you will do great! Just be confident and honest with your answers and it will all work out.

Let us know how it goes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Have a firm handshake.  I've shaken hands with interviewee's before and it felt like a floppy noodle.  I see a firm handshake as a sign of confidence.  Good luck!

image180 image85 image8 Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    My dad was a recruiter for 2 decades.  He always tells me that the best thing you can do is get them to talk more than you do.  People LOVE to talk about themselves and their company if they are passionate about it....and it gives less opptorunity for you to say something they didn't want to hear.  But, people feel like you care if you ask them questions (and listen of course).  Good luck!  Be yourself because you're great!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_my-1st-interview?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:02be381d-157c-4be1-8237-021bef0c8ac7Post:2d7e66b0-d4a0-4d58-a785-330f2d04d028">Re: My 1st interview!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dad was a recruiter for 2 decades.  He always tells me that the best thing you can do is get them to talk more than you do.  People LOVE to talk about themselves and their company if they are passionate about it....and it gives less opptorunity for you to say something they didn't want to hear.  But, people feel like you care if you ask them questions (and listen of course).  Good luck!  Be yourself because you're great!
    Posted by volleygurl0306[/QUOTE]

<div>Wow, this is great advice!! I think this works in general in all aspects of life! </div>
  • Options
    Ooooh I'll be thinking of you today!!
    I suggest you have good posture and exude confidence! Believe in yourself and they will believe in your abilities. Be polite, courteous and honest.
    Love the suggestion about letting them talk more than you - great advice!!
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Best advice I got came from a knottie on here actually hahaha, and its a goofy but great way to build your confidence... where your best underwear ;) lol No one will know but you, but you'll feel 100 times better :) 

HaHa thanks Britt, I'm glad you liked the advice!! Tongue Out

This is actually my favorite advice "tip". I don't know why but it just always seems to work. I think it has something to do with making yourself feel good and you project yourself differently then!! Any way sending you good knottie vibes and go find your pretty panties!!! GL
  • Options
    I had to sit through a bunch of interviews when they were hiring my coworker and one question that they always asked, and that tripped people up the most, "what do you know about our company/program/this position?" We are a huge non profit that serves lots of different clients, so some people just had blank looks b/c they had no idea what the program was.
  • Options

Good Luck!!

• Options
    I just saw your post now, but I hope everything went well! Definitely let us know.

Sending T&P your way, hoping it was a big success! :)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards