September 2012 Weddings
Options

What to spend savings on?

I set up a savings account after we got engaged, and said it was strictly for wedding-related stuff. I have only had to tap into it once in an emergency situation, and try to keep it that way. I was wondering if anyone else has a wedding fund too, and what you plan to use it on? Have you been paying WR stuff off as it comes or plan to unload the whole savings on something (credit card, honeymoon, etc)?

Re: What to spend savings on?

• Options
    We have a savings account we set up after we got engaged. We've used it to pay for depositis on things we're paying for (dad's gift to us is our venue & transportation) 

We're using it to pay for photographer, flowers, officiant fees (premarital counceling & ceremony), attendant gifts, stationary items, and apartment stuff (security deposit, furniture, etc.) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We do have a wedding savings fund which is actually our first joint account (aww).  We'll use it as a regular joint savings after the wedding.  There frankly isn't too much in it right now (yikes).  We have a goal number for what we want it to be to cover everything.  I am mainly focused on that being for our catering payment due 3 days before the wedding.  With other stuff I've been putting it on my credit card (yay points) and pay it off monthly.  If I were to buy a lot of wedding related stuff that my paycheck couldn't cover, I'd use the wedding savings to help pay my bill.  Hasn't happened yet.  So technically, the goal amount should be decreased by what we've paid for but we are keeping the mentality of hitting that goal so if after the wedding we don't have to spend it all, we have some savings for whatever is next...house, trips, emergencies, etc.
  • Options
    We've been using ours (which is scary low since we did a big round of stuff and with FI laid off contributions have all but stopped too) for all our deposits, and staionary, and a few things purchased for DIY etc... like PP

We are covering, fowers, photography, cake, stationary, ceremony and officiant fees,  our rooms, etc basically eveything except recption (venue and food) and my dress my parents bought as well.
    Sept 2012 Siggy:Bridesmaids' Dresses
    Bari Jay 911 in Raspberry
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We have a savings account strictly for the wedding.  My taxes went into it this year.  His taxes went into it last year.  We've been putting money in weekly.  I save every nominal gift that I get in my dresser, for those just in case instances.  Plus, the dresser fund is for my hair and makeup. 

We have had to tap into it though for emergencies.  We have a 3 family house and a condo, so when there's work to be done on them the wedding account is the quick fix.  I'm against it though, but we need to live.
  • Options
    We've been using our savings account (set up just for the wedding) to pay deposits and small wedding expenses that have come along.  We're paying for things as we go so hopefully after the wedding everything is paid off!
    image180 image85 image8 Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    I set up a separate checking account just for the wedding right after we got engaged. My parents are giving us a set amount of money, and so the first check my dad wrote me went right into the account. It's shockingly low right now, as I wrote all our big deposits out of it. FI will put his tax returns into it, and I'm self employed so I usually owe. I do plan on trying to make deposits as often as possible here and there.

So many people have NO CLUE how much they ended up spending on their wedding. I decided that all wedding money was going into the separate account so that I can see exactly how much we're spending. 
  • Options
    Ours is used just for deposits/vendors, not the little stuff like DIY materials.
  • Options
    We set up a joint account for wedding funds that we'll use as our account together after the wedding.  So far we've just been pumping money into it and only using it for deposits.  Small purchases like crafty things, I've just outright purchased.  It's not that we don't have the money in the account for small things, but I'd rather purchase those as I go out of my own money, and if we have extra in the account after the wedding, it's just more savings for us (cause I need a new car like a year ago).

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• Options
    I had an $8000 savings account that was originally to be used towards student loans once I graduate. FI pays the mortgage, all bills, the car payments so I am the only one paying for the wedding, and my tax return will go in that account as well.
  • Options
    We're putting most of the deposits and such on our points cards (heh, we scuffle over who gets to pay for such and such, as he's getting points on his LL Bean card and I'm getting mine on Nordstrom- we really should get an airline card or REI or something that would benefit both of us!) and paying when the bills come- I do have a savings account that I put the funds my parents gifted us with, and all wedding expenses go on a spreadsheet, including what gets taken out of the savings, so we know what's left to be paid closer to the wedding, where we are in relation to the budget (my dress and the florist came in under budget, yay!), and what's been laid out so far.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We don't have a wedding fund, but I have a savings account that I opened a year or two ago. I've been saving it as "just in case" money, but the majority of it is now earmarked for the HM. Everything else WR has been coming out of mine or FI's checking account.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We have a wedding account to put money in and when we need to take some out so we can pay some bills for the wedding. We try to put money in every week.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards