September 2012 Weddings

Scare tactic business strategies???? (NWR)

I'd like to preface that I mean this in no way to judge peoples lifestyle choices.  Just my opinions/hesitations with some of todays health trends.

So my MOH just asked me if the lady doing our makeup for the wedding works with organic makeup too as she is only wearing organic makeup these days.  Then she wanted me to read some book called "Your make up is killing you."  Fortunately it was via text message because I legit rolled my eyes.  I'm not pretending to know the chemical composition of all makeups or do I know for sure that makeup isn't bad.  I guess I'm just sick of people saying such and such is bad for you and such and such causes this illness and that illness.  Because, with few exceptions (cigarettes being the best exception that comes to mind), some other study comes out contradicting whatever the first study says.  Like can anyone tell me for sure if milk and eggs are good or bad for us?  Some say protein and calcium necessary but then the cholesterol and pasturization process is bad. 

I certainly think some things put you at risk, but I think the rest is just some scare tactic to get you to buy organic makeups or egg beaters and the author is getting some sort of kickback from a company.  Maybe that is super cynical but I've worked in corporate America and it isn't that far off of how some decisions are made.  And a lot of things that cause you to get sick only cause illness because you were pre-disposed to that condition.  I think it just suckers people into buying stuff and having a false sense of what health is sometimes (ever seen someone with organic cookies wondering why they still gain weight....organic doesn't mean low calorie).

Maybe I'm wrong and I'll be the moron when I'm older and sick but I feel like everything in moderation, regular exercise, and stress management is more likely to help than following one fad after another of what might kill you today (though tomorrow it wont).  Am I the only one who is skeptical of this stuff?

Re: Scare tactic business strategies???? (NWR)

• No, you definitely aren't the only one!  I agree with you.  Everything in moderation!  I especially can't stand these people who say this or that is bad for you and you ask them why and they don't know.  If you are going to tell me what's good and bad, at least have a few facts and do a little research first to back it up.  LOL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm in the skeptical boat. My grandparents ate lard & smoked and drank his whole life. And they lived to see their mid-90s!  

I'm not saying we all shouldn't try to be healthier. But the crap we do to try to be healthy ends up causing some other friggin ailment half of the time!
  • I hear it ALL from friends/family since the Cancer treatment. Everytime I turn around its 'Hey, didn't you know that increases your chances of Cancer?'... honestly, you can take your advise and put it where the sun don't shine!

• edited May 2012
    I do believe many companies feed off fear and love to toy with our desire for a long and healthy life. Other than some of the obvious harmful habits, it's really hard to blame illness or death on one specific product or habit; there are so many other factors at play.

That being said, there are things that I thought were totally ok until I myself saw the negative effects of extended use (soy being one of them). Of course, it wasn't a little soy here and there, it was an entire diet filled of it (both my son and i were lactose intolerant). It messed my cycle and my moods up BIG time. I never would have believed it had I not lived it.

I think it's good to have the info out there but to do what works best for you. I don't drink or smoke; I eat very well and stay very active. I wear sunscreen, go to the doc for my yearly exam and avoid processed foos,d airy and gluten because it makes my tummy sickish. Does that mean I'm safe? Nope. I just like feeling healthy while I'm alive and that's my ultimate goal.
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • One thing that really, really bothers me is a lot of "scare tactic" advertising in grocery stores. For example, EVERYONE BUY CAGE FREE EGGS. Okay, "cage free" doesn't mean anything! There's no set FDA regulations on what that means. Sure, the chickens aren't in battery cages- that you know. But they can exist in just as cramped conditions and they don't need to be let outside at all and "cage free" doesn't mean they were in any way fed any differently than battery cage chickens. It's misleading, like a lot of advertising. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • In Response to Re:Scare tactic business strategies???? NWR:[QUOTE]One thing that really, really bothers me is a lot of quot;scare tacticquot; advertising in grocery stores. For example, EVERYONE BUY CAGE FREE EGGS. Okay, quot;cage freequot; doesn't mean anything! There's no set FDA regulations on what that means. Sure, the chickens aren't in battery cages that you know. But they can exist in just as cramped conditions and they don't need to be let outside at all and quot;cage freequot; doesn't mean they were in any way fed any differently than battery cage chickens. It's misleading, like a lot of advertising.nbsp; Posted by smartlypretty[/QUOTE]

The word "organic" fits this bill too. My future 8 yr old stepson refuses to eat grapes unless they came from Whole Foods. His mother is one of those highly influenced by the fearmongers. Rolling eyes.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it all kinda comes down to the fact that seems to permeate just about every conversation about ridiculous human beings that we have on here:

Live your life.  I'll live mine.  Don't be a jerk.  

With eating/religion/how you raise your kids/ what kind of a wedding you and your fiance are having people have comments.  I had a firend in college who used to always say, "You do you." It's kinda been a mantra for me, mentally.  You don't like that my wedding is too big/too small? Fine. You do you.

Although seriously- Yahoo News drives me up a wall.  No sunscreen will kill you but YOUR SUNSCREEN IS KILLING YOU. Blurg.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_scare-tactic-business-strategies-nwr?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:09eceff4-b8c4-4caa-a5f5-5a61fb614266Post:6c3a7cf5-29d0-446e-a379-2b9e9174fe5f">Re: Scare tactic business strategies???? (NWR)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in the skeptical boat. My grandparents ate lard & smoked and drank his whole life. And they lived to see their mid-90s!   I'm not saying we all shouldn't try to be healthier. But the crap we do to try to be healthy ends up causing some other friggin ailment half of the time!
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

I feel you guys all on the scare tactic stuff and I generally just do my own thing... I am starting to avoid things like household cleaners just because of the harsh chemicals and use more natural stuff for cleaning.

In regards to the grandparents comment, did you ever think about how your grandparents did all that stuff and lived to 90... but they also didn't eat crap food from a package? My grandparents and probably a lot of yours ate what they could grow or raise or trade for. No hamburger helper or lean cuisine etc. They had no microwaves. They also walked a lot more and didn't have as many medications to jump and take at the first sign of something.

Now I'm not saying I don't do any of that stuff... =D  I just try to look at things from different perspectives.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If there's one thing I learned from reading all kinds of medical studies in college, it's that you have to consider the source of the study. Who funded the study? Who conducted the study? It's like what OP said about the author getting a kickback.

Do your own research, be informed. Never take anything at face value.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards