September 2012 Weddings
Options

XP DASH Diet?

Hey ladies,

Has anyone heard of the DASH diet? I saw it on the news this morning and a dietician said the diet is used for individuals with high blood pressure and it's great for the whole family. Apparently it's about having a well balanced diet, so I feel like it's something that will help me get on the right track with a healthy lifestyle change. 

0403_0929W BabyFruit Ticker

Re: XP DASH Diet?

• Options
    Hmm, no never heard of it. But that doesn't mean anything... I don't have television and stay rather out of the loop... I hadn't heard of the Paleo until a girl mentioned it on the DW board... I did it (cheated a bit) over the holidays, hardly worked out because we were visiting family, and I still lost 3 1/2 lbs already :)
  • Options
    I work in pediatrics and we recommend it to all of our high BP kids. I don't know much about it as a regular diet but since it focuses on whole grains, fruits and veggies, and lower sodium it certainly couldn't be a bad thing! 

It is also endorsed by the AHA and at least one branch of the NIH. Definitely not just another weight loss fad. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Anything that actually promotes long term healthy eating habits is good in my books :) It's not some crazy weight loss diet which is encouraging and it really seems to focus on how good foods naturally keep us healthy.

I'm not sold on the low-fat or non-fat dairy part, but that's not terrible. I've learned over the past few years that eating whole foods and not those chemically altered foods that are reduced in cals/fat, actually leaves you more satisfied and helps maintain a healthy body weight. How many times have you had 2 or 3 servings of something because it was 'fat-free" or "only 80 cals"? And you still don't feel satisfied... It's a hard habit to break but I haven't put on a single pound since eating full fat/cal cheese and yogurt :)

invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_xp-dash-diet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:4309bee9-2759-4c97-acbf-2712502e9e62Post:54fb76b0-8d23-4dbf-9656-e50be8eb0589">Re: XP DASH Diet?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sold on the low-fat or non-fat dairy part, but that's not terrible. I've learned over the past few years that eating whole foods and not those chemically altered foods that are reduced in cals/fat, actually leaves you more satisfied and helps maintain a healthy body weight. How many times have you had 2 or 3 servings of something because it was 'fat-free" or "only 80 cals"? And you still don't feel satisfied... It's a hard habit to break but I haven't put on a single pound since eating full fat/cal cheese and yogurt :)
    Posted by mamameech[/QUOTE]

<div>Hmm...that's really interesting. I've actually heard this before but wasn't sure if it was true or not. I usually only use full-fat dairy stuff when I'm cooking.</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I disagree with the fat free or reduced fat thing. I use fat free milk, yogurt (greek) and  cottage cheese and reduced fat cheese. It can take your calories in a meal down my 100-300 calories depending on what you're eating. And I don't eat any more than I would of the normal stuff.

Fat free greek yogurt is my FAVORITE, doesn't taste diet and is so filling and has a ton of protein.
  • Options
    I don't count calories - ever. It's about eating the right foods and getting in all your nutrients. You may avoid cals in those foods but you also lose nutrients. In the end it's the nutrients that keep you healthy.
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards