September 2012 Weddings
Options

Hair/Makeup Trial Question

Hey ladies, I've seen some of you posting pics on the FB page of your hair and/or makeup trials.

I had originally planned on waiting to do my trials until the day of my bridal portraits (which will probably be a month or two before the wedding), in order to save some money. Now I'm freaking out a bit though because I've realized that this will mean putting a lot of faith into my MUA and hairstylist since 1) If I hate it, I'm stuck with them (will have to pay a deposit beforehand to secure my wedding date), and 2) If I hate it, my portraits will be scheduled for later that day so I'll be screwed and will have to make it work for the pictures.

Any thoughts/advice on this? Now I'm thinking that maybe I should just suck it up and the trial early and pay extra to have it done for the portraits. : /
Anniversary

Re: Hair/Makeup Trial Question

• Options
    I highly recommend doing them early. I had my hair done for a dinner I had to go to, so I got another use out of it after it was done. Maybe plan a special night with your man or with family so you have an "excuse" to look pretty :)
  • Options
    Yeah, I haven't done mine yet and unfortunately my girl isn't available for my shower or my batch party (she's super popular), but I'm going to get her to do mine for a day that FI takes me out. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • Options
    If it is going to stress you, I'd plan for it earlier.  On the day of your portrait, you can always go to a makeup counter at a department store and get your makeup done (typically for free or a small makeup purchase).  Plus, then your portraits will look different than all your wedding pics since your makeup won't be exactly the same.  And I agree with Cowgirl,  just plan something else special after your trial with your FI or if you haven't decided on a date for a shower/bachelorette party. 
  • Options
    I'm doing mine a month and a few days out.  Both my salon and the makeup artist suggested doing it so it's fresh in everyone's mind and whatnot.  It's really up to you.  I did sort of freak out about seeing everyone posting trials but I'm not too worried about it anymore.  It's up to you and what would make you feel most comfortable (now vs. later, etc.).
  • Options
    The reason I did mine so early was because all of the reasonably-priced artists in my area were booking up fast, and I wanted to have the trial before I booked in case I didn't like the artist.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    ejheartejheart member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Thanks, ladies. I think I will just go ahead and get it done early to reassure myself. I went ahead and asked the MUA if there's any type of discount for booking 3 appointments, and if not then I'll just do regular makeup (instead of airbrush) for my portraits. :) I like the idea about date night, too! I may have to go that route.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Hi y'all. I don't do postings normally but I saw some great comments. I live in a very rural area and chose a hair stylist who used to do my hair regularly. Well when I called her about doing me and my girls she was all for it. I wanted to start getting my hair ready by scheduling a trim. The appt was made a month in advance. I'm a little concerned cause she said she doesn't like to do trials in case she can't make it happen exactly the same on my day. Also when I showed up for my appt she wasn't there, I wasn't even in the book at all anywhere. Should I give her second chance or dump?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards