September 2012 Weddings

There's still hope!

Okay, that's a little dramatic, but still...

We thought we had catering down, like, in August. FI's old coworker was starting his own catering business and FI asked him about doing our wedding. No problem. Tried to get in touch with him from December to now and he hasn't answered his phone or returned calls. We're under 7 months now so now I have to find a caterer ASAP. Surprised Seriously, it's our 2nd big priority (okay... probably about equal with photog) and it's not done. Dear lord!!!

Well, I've been emailing dozens and dozens of caterers. We had a small amount set up because that guy was going to cut most of the service costs so we would essentially be paying for the food and whoever he hired to help him. Well, now that a lot of other things have been bought and had deposits put down, we don't have as much to put in as we'd like. Ugh... So it's been difficult finding someone who has a good rep, we can afford, AND is available for our date (I've already been turned down twice!)

Well, I got a quote back from a caterer today that's right at the max of our budget. So definitely do-able. *Sigh*

I'm wondering if I could even negotiate with him? I mean, it's not sky high and the price pp is $12. Most of the extra is cake cutting, 3 service people, and $100 in taxes.

Do you think I should?

Re: There's still hope!

• Maybe you could negotiate out the little things (like say, if you put a big deposit or book same day maybe they could nix the per person cake cutting charge?) Those little things are what really drives up prices. $12 pp is a good price, but definitely have a tasting and check out reviews. Be honest with them that they are pushing the budget max and see if there's a way to work around some fees. Maybe these caterers are the right ones and the circumstances led you to them for a reason! :)
  • So I was honest that it was pushy just a bit and asked about throwing in some dishes/serving ware etc. If they included a little more like that, it would save us money in other places. So... we'll see. Oh, yeah, and we're definitely doing a tasting before anything. lol!
  • I've found a lot of times that vendors may not lower prices, but they are willing to throw extras in. Ask for more stuff! For example, at my location, I wasn't able to get the price lower, but I negotiated extra food during cocktail hour, wine service during dinner, better booze during the open bar, and an extra entree. I also got them to throw in table numbers and a card box. I nickled and dimed him for all I could!
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_theres-still-hope?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:4fbec5f3-822b-40e3-9857-96d16de5dfdaPost:70604939-9b5a-40dc-b23b-10a9ff11fca2">Re: There's still hope!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've found a lot of times that vendors may not lower prices, but they are willing to throw extras in. Ask for more stuff! For example, at my location, I wasn't able to get the price lower, but I negotiated extra food during cocktail hour, wine service during dinner, better booze during the open bar, and an extra entree. I also got them to throw in table numbers and a card box. I nickled and dimed him for all I could!
    Posted by smartlypretty[/QUOTE]

You should teach a class! I need some tips.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_theres-still-hope?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:4fbec5f3-822b-40e3-9857-96d16de5dfdaPost:70604939-9b5a-40dc-b23b-10a9ff11fca2">Re: There's still hope!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've found a lot of times that vendors may not lower prices, but they are willing to throw extras in. Ask for more stuff! For example, at my location, I wasn't able to get the price lower, but I negotiated extra food during cocktail hour, wine service during dinner, better booze during the open bar, and an extra entree. I also got them to throw in table numbers and a card box. I nickled and dimed him for all I could!
    Posted by smartlypretty[/QUOTE]
    You need to teach me your technique...lol I thought I was awesome for knocking $150 off my photography package, but this puts my accomplishment to shame! :)
  • I don't know your budget, but I WISH I could find $12/person catering! My midnight lunch is $8/person and it's just cold cuts and buns.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_theres-still-hope?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:4fbec5f3-822b-40e3-9857-96d16de5dfdaPost:160a0f0a-9753-46df-8196-bb62233c40cd">Re: There's still hope!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know your budget, but I WISH I could find $12/person catering! My midnight lunch is $8/person and it's just cold cuts and buns.
    Posted by bridezillatobe2009[/QUOTE]

<div>I know. It's a fairly cheap buffet meal. We have a tasting scheduled for next Sunday so hopefully it'll be good. =) He threw in all of the clear disposable plates, knives, spoons, forks, cups, and napkins. Its not amazing, but it's what we would've bought ourselves, so that works out. =)</div>
  • Yeah that sounds great.  I *think* you already picked out your cake (or I'm mixing a post up) but my only additional suggestion would be if you had'nt picked out your cake to go with cupcakes because then there's no cake cutting fee.  But I think you had a post about your dream cake.  Sorry if that wasn't you.  But nice work getting the extras thrown in.  Let us know how the tasting goes!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_theres-still-hope?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:4fbec5f3-822b-40e3-9857-96d16de5dfdaPost:82fc7b35-f575-4c2f-88fe-14e90be2375d">Re: There's still hope!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah that sounds great.  I *think* you already picked out your cake (or I'm mixing a post up) but my only additional suggestion would be if you had'nt picked out your cake to go with cupcakes because then there's no cake cutting fee.  But I think you had a post about your dream cake.  Sorry if that wasn't you.  But nice work getting the extras thrown in.  Let us know how the tasting goes!
    Posted by volleygurl0306[/QUOTE]

<div>haha Yeah, that was me! Even still... I don't know. My heart is set on a cake, cake so... =P But, I'll definitely keep you guys in the loop! =)</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards