September 2012 Weddings

WP/Parent thank yous?

Did you/are you going to write thank you notes to your parents and WP?  I don't see motivating FI to do it for his GM and I don't know them all well enough so it would probably just be for my BM and parents.  I had it on my to-do list last weekend and I either had writer's block or got too choked up thinking about it to write anything.  Would it be horrible not to?  Both FI and I were in (separate) weddings this year and neither of us received one, but I've heard of them.  I got them thank-you presents of course, and my parents' are pretty sappy as is.  I am making our welcome speech since FI doesn't like to make speeches and I plan to thank the WP and parents there.   I was thinking I could always say thanks for being part of our day in our regular thank you notes if they get us a gift (and send them one anyways even if they don't...many of them traveled plus the cost of their outfits so not really expecting gifts).  I don't want to be a jerk for not writing one but I don't want to force it either.

Re: WP/Parent thank yous?

• i did thank you notes for my parents and bridal party... my FI decided to do the same thing.
    Visit The Knot! White Knot Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 217 Invited...
    image 166 Got their boots on!
    image 49 Missin' out.
    image 2 are makin' us mailbox stalk!
    RSVP Date: September 1
  • I will be writing thank yous for our parents -- Haven't done it yet, in part because I want to find greeting cards that say part of what we want to tell them, instead of just using our regular Thank You notecards. Don't stress about doing it before the wedding. Since you have thank you gifts and will be saying it, you can write the cards in the following weeks.
  • I sent cards to my bridesmaids a couple months back just telling them that I appreciate their friendship and I'm excited to see them and celebrate with them, so I won't be writing anything to give to them with the gift.  As far as the groomsmen and parents... I doubt the groomsmen would care, and it's not anywhere on FI's radar (hasn't even bought them a gift yet).  The parents could get awkward cause FI's mom is going to be there, and he has absolutely nothing to thank her for.  So probably not for the parents.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_wpparent-thank-yous?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:5647deeb-4f12-4196-8a4a-2d1f07bd47ccPost:34977bff-4afe-48de-87cb-e6a61ccfaf9d">Re: WP/Parent thank yous?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I sent cards to my bridesmaids a couple months back just telling them that I appreciate their friendship and I'm excited to see them and celebrate with them, so I won't be writing anything to give to them with the gift.  As far as the groomsmen and parents... I doubt the groomsmen would care, and it's not anywhere on FI's radar (hasn't even bought them a gift yet).  <strong>The parents could get awkward cause FI's mom is going to be there, and he has absolutely nothing to thank her for.  So probably not for the parents.
    </strong>Posted by MrsBassPlaya[/QUOTE]

This is kinda why I struggled with my BM too because one of my BM has been a crappy friend for the past 8 months.  Honestly, I was shocked when she called me to tell me she booked her flight because I assumed she was going to bail.  She hasn't been supportive or helpful at all during the planning or even been a good friend in general.  So while I think my other 5 notes would probably flow out of my pen once I got the ball rolling, hers would be like pulling teeth because I'd be like "uhh thanks for showing up I guess...Love, Kathryn."  I'm not a fan of some big dramatic scene of kicking out a bridesmaid but I kinda know her and I need some distance to decide if we have a friendship to salvage after the wedding or if it will just fizzle. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards