September 2012 Weddings
Options

Advice: Guest Numbers

Just something I found out the hard way today...

We finalized our RSVP's about two weeks ago, my wedding is next weekend.  We had to give our caterer a final count a week ago, so we did.  Well, now we hear so-and-so isn't feeling well and won't be able to make it (we totally understand), and so-and-so has a last minute work function they can't miss or they'll lose their job (again, we completely understand).

But what that means is we're paying for about 4 people more than will be in attendance.

So - my advice is to UNDERESTIMATE!  Most caterers will gladly add up to the final number, no problem.  But once you give them a number, they won't go under that.  In retrospect, I wish I had cut off about 5-8 people from my number (about 5%) knowing that there would probably be some no-shows and some last minute cancellations so we wouldn't have to pay for them. 

Just a word to the wise for those of you later in the month!!!

Anniversary

Re: Advice: Guest Numbers

• Options
    I'll keep that in mind and in fact I am really hoping for some cancellations. My wedding is going to be packed as we definitely underestimated who would come and who would bring a date.  The advice to assume that everyone you invite will come is good advice. I'm learning that the hard way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice.  Not sure what those 4 people come out to dollar wise but could it get you anything extra from your venue?  Maybe if you skipped the champagne toast or you can add an extra appetizer at cocktail hour?  Just trying to think of ways where it doesn't feel like your money is totally wasted.  At least make sure they give you the 4 dinners to take home and you and your then husband (yay) can savor it post wedding.  Some places don't like people to take food of the premises but I'd argue into that.  If I'm paying for it, I'm taking it!
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Volleygirl - our venue is venue-only, so it's just our caterer.  And we're having live stations, so it's hard to say what constitutes X dinners.

It's not a big deal, especially as we had a few people ask if they could bring dates who we hadn't accounted for (they had RSVP'd without them, though they had been offered, and now changed their mind).  But reading the July board, there's always a few no-shows, too, so it's probably better to go after, "Whoops, we had 2 more than we had told you!  Let's pay you the difference" rather than "Whoops, we had 8 people not come that we paid for!!!"

Anniversary

• Options
    Ah thanks for the advice! I'm def going to underestimate bc a lot of FI's side are cops. Since FI and the groomsmen can't be ordered in I'm worried some guests will...and they'll have to bail last minute on the wedding. I was worried about how to handle that. Problem solved...thanks!
  • Options
    We got the "magic" number we wanted but now have to add 10 more people to catering and tableware to balance everything out cause there are about 4 people who RSVP'ed (two yes, two maybes) that might be no shows that day due to other obligations (work for two, illness for the other two). Its not costing as much as we thought to add the other people.
    Anniversary Vacation
  • Options
    We have 168 confirmed.  I told the caterer to prepare enough food for 160.  We  have a buffet, so it's not such a big deal, and we're passing appetizers before the reception.  Our venue max was 200 and we invited around 240.  We were able to add another entree since our actual guest count was lower without paying much more money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards