September 2012 Weddings
Options

Group Shots

Fi and I have the same group of friends, and we've all been close friends since middle school.  A third of our guest list is friends and the majority of the friends are part of this group.  We want to get a big group picture of everyone- our LA Kids (as we call ourselves).

The problem is, everytime we've tried to do this in the past (mostly at school dances), we get 9823745298347502345 other people who think they're in our group and jump in our photo.

So...
1) How do we get those friends together for a photo without making it seem like we're excluding the others?  I was thinking of giving everyone a time in advance and have them all go to the beach at that time (maybe during cocktail hour or something) for a big fun photo-- no announcements necessary.  But then 1/3 of our guest list would suddenly be disappearing haha

2) Any ideas for a fun group shot?  I don't want the typical "everyone jump at the same time" kind of thing.  Maybe something like this, on a bigger scale

Or maybe the jump, but with the shoes in the foreground (since we'll take the photo on the beach)

Re: Group Shots

• Options
    I like both of those picture ideas!  As for separating just specific people I have no idea how to possibly do that.  Maybe telling them in advance would be a good idea...  Have you talked to your photographer as to how you should approach that?
  • Options
    Like you said, the mass exodus might be uncomfortable for those left out.  Perhaps just have them come to group photos with the family right after the ceremony, and just give your photographer a list with people's names - so they'll be like, "Okay, now we need John Smith, Joe Johnson, Karly Sautner..."  Make them the bad guy, not you guys!

Anniversary

• Options

How many people are you talking about?  If it is over 15, I think a fun pose is going to be a little difficult.  Make sure you talk to your photographer too about this because they may need a different type of lens to fit so many people (unless you guys stand really far back in which case your faces won't be so distinct) and/or need something to stand on to get all of you. 

I would definitely give people a time and location privately ahead of time.  Though don't be surprised if some people forget and are late.  Also, if anyone has a significant other that isn't in your group, you should figure out how to handle that if you don't want them in the picture (sound bad but totally understandable if it is someone's flavor of the week). 

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I'd talk to your photographer.  We are doing all of our family and friends shots immediately after the ceremony as people are leaving and whatnot so they can go and enjoy cocktail hour while FI and I do our shots around the course.  Your best bet is to have your photographer catch everyone during that time if it's at all possible (I'm not sure where everything is for you and the timing of it all).  Again, my photographer suggested doing all of those types of shots first (that way people aren't being pulled away from cocktail hour), so maybe your photographer will have some good suggestions.
  • Options
    I agree with PPs, I think your best bet is to spread the word ahead of time so they know what's going on, and speak with your photographer to enlist their help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards