September 2012 Weddings

First Time Dress Shopping!

Hi, ladies!  I went on my first dress shopping expedition today!  We visited two stores - Kay's Bridal in Simi Valley, CA and then Pebble's Bridal in Woodland Hills, CA.  I tried on about 10 dresses at Kay's and really liked about 4 of them.  At Pebble's I tried on 6 and liked a few.  The hard part is  that Pebble's didn't allow photographs to be taken and we were very rushed, so I don't even remember what I tried on!  We took some notes, but they didn't help me when trying to find the dresses online, just to look at the pictures.  Oh well!

In the mean time, I haven't had an "AHA" moment where I said, "THIS is the dress", but I did like several of them.  For those of you who didn't have that moment, how did you decide upon the dress?

I don't know that I want to go anywhere else for a few reasons.  One is that the customer service at Kay's is fantastic.  They were so great while I was there plus it's in the town I live in and I really like the idea of supporting a local business.  Another is that the customer service as Pebble's wasn't so hot,, so I'm nervous other places will be like that.  And, finally, I just think that the more dresses I try on, the more confused I'll be. 

Any suggestions/advice?

TIA!
~Michelle
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: First Time Dress Shopping!

• I did have that "moment" when I just knew it was THE dress. All the dresses were beautiful but that one made me feel like the most beautiful woman in the world :)
    I couldn't take pics the day of either; a lot of bridal salons are like that. However I can take pics next weekend when I go in to have my bolero designed so I can't wait to have a pic of ME in my dress :)

If you haven't felt anything special for any of the dress, I'd say keep looking. Don't settle because you'll end up doubting and regretting your decision. Did you get a feel for what styles you liked? Designers? Colours? Go with that for your next appointment. Customer service is a huge factor in this process so go somewhere that respects you and makes this experience enjoyable :)
    Good Luck!
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • If you have the feeling like you don't want to take the dress off, that's when you'll know...at least that is how it was to me! However, lots of people wait for that and for some people it doesn't happen..so don't put too much pressure on yourself. I think society puts too much pressure on women to fine "THE" dress. When it comes down to it, it's just a dress! Yes, you want to look and feel beautiful on your wedding day but when it comes down to it it's the marrying part that's important :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • yeah, i didn't have an exact OMG this is my dress (mostly because i had seen the dress online and i knew i would love it when i tried it on). but, when i did try it on, everyone around me was like "look how much she is smiling, she loves this dress". honestly, bringing your close friends and family and people who know you well might be very helpful. they know you and know what you like and know how to interpret your reactions.

my other suggestion is go to other stores! i think i went to 5 or 6 total. i know it gets exhausting but it really is worth it.
    Happily married since 9/1/2012!
    The Whimsical Wifey
  • edited January 2012
    Definitely try some other stores. I did because I didn't want to always think "what if". I didn't have like a crying moment. I knew I loved it, but tried on other things to make sure. The way I knew it was "the one" is that when I had it on, I couldn't stop smiling and looking in the mirror. (I even had a twirl moment lol) When I went to the other stores, I kept comparing it to that one. We went back to try it on again and I was in it for about 20 minutes because I didn't want to take it off. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards