September 2012 Weddings
Options

Bridal Shower

So I just had my first bridal shower this past weekend.  Everyone has told me that I can not use the stuff till after FI and I get married in September.  We live together, because it doesn't pay for me to have an apartment and then move yet again.  Do I need to wait or can I start putting everything away?

Re: Bridal Shower

• Options
    The reason you're told not to use stuff yet is because in the event that the wedding doesn't actually take place you will need to return the gifts. Most things can't go back used. 

The only exception I am making to the do not use it rule is a dutch oven my cousin got us. It was our first gift and I was close to just buying it for myself because I wanted it so badly. If, by some crazy chance, the wedding doesn't happen I'll refund her the cost of the item.

Everything else is going in the closet until the wedding. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I haven't used anything yet but I didn't intend to store it until the wedding either. It's all still in boxes but I'm kind of excited to use my mixer and juicer... I know you're supposed to never say never but I really doubt the wedding won't take place so I don't feel superstitious about it. And if, by some crazy chance, the wedding doesn't happen I'll repay people for things that we've used. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    My shower isn't taking place until the 9th of September so I won't have to worry about having things tempt me to use them by then I will be so busy running around getting last minute things done for the wedding I won't even be thinking about using any of my shower gifts.  The only reason I am having my shower so late is because I am stationed in England with the military and can't get home any sooner than that.  Otherwise I think I would be tempted to use the gifts that people got me for the shower.
    Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    If you're just putting the items away and not actually using them, I think that's fine. Just save the boxes and stuff.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Don't use it.  Don't open it.  In case anything happens, those need to be returned.  I know it's impossible to think that anything may happen but it does.  I, personally, know 5 couples who have ended their engagements for various reasons.

My last engagement ended a month before the wedding, just a couple weeks after my bridal shower.  I had to return everything, so it's really good that none of it was opened.

BTW, worst feeling in the world having to give back all these awesome presents and have people give you sad eyes and tell you it'll be ok.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• Options
    The only things we've used are a vacuum from my parents and a weed eater from FIs parents.  Both were badly needed and they told us to go ahead and use them.  Everything else is put away in the spare bedroom aka the wedding room as we so affectionately call it now.
    image180 image85 image8 Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    Oh is that the reason? I never understood this rule, and FSIL went ahead and started using things right off the bat after her shower. She said it was some "bad luck" rule but said her luck can't get any worse so she didn't care. I didn't know it had to do with breaking off engagements.
  • Options

I used some of my items as well. If something does happen which I know will not ,we have been together for ages already !! I will just replace those items with new ones. I am not worried about that. I guess that if something does happen I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Future Mrs.Ford Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards