September 2012 Weddings
Options

What dress did you think you were going to get?

Hi, ladies! I always find it interesting to see what dress is the original "vision" and what people actually end up getting!!!

Here are a couple dresses I liked in pictures:

Didn't try it on

Tried it on and looked pretty but wasn't that flattering

Here is the dress I got (which I don't really care for on the model):

What I wanted: Sweetheart strapless A-line
What I got: Sweetheart strapless mermaid

Your turn!!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What dress did you think you were going to get?

• Options
    My budget made it difficult to honestly get what I really wanted. I wanted something with a crazy bottom or some definitely texture. I ended up with a v-nick beaded a-line. It's my personality and I don't think I'll look back in 10 years and wonder what I was thinking lol.
  • Options
    I figured all lace, or maybe lace & tulle, with straps and an open back.  Not a long train, not poofy, and definitely not sleeveless/strapless.

What I got was poofy, lots of tulle, long train, and strapless - still has lace (and tulle) - I LOVE it!

Anniversary

• Options
    I thought I'd get someting like this:

I didn't think I wanted a strapless dress... BUT

Here's the dress I bought. I love it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 129image 102image 24image
  • Options

I wanted somthing similar to PP... I wanted opened back, all lace, capped sleeves, A-line.  I actually tried on the dress and I loved it!

But unfortunately FMIL ruined it for me by telling me it looked like "an old ladies dress".  The thought of her saying that stuck in my head so, I went with my next selection which was a strapless, sweetheart neckline with ruching on the chest, stomach and back...and I purchased a heavily beaded sash to go around my waist (from one extreme to another lol)

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Cap-Sleeved-Satin-Side-Draped-A-Line-Gown-9T3090_Bridal-Gowns-Shop-By-Silhouette-A-Line -   This is the dress I wanted

http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Heavily-Beaded-Sash-G21600_Accessories-Sashes-and-Coverage-Options-All-Sashes-Coverage-Options -   This the dress I did buy with the sash

Sorry, dont know how to upload the pics lol

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Love this thread!  I wanted a fit and flare, specific dress from David's:

And I ended up with a ball gown:

ETA: And I certainly never wanted tulle...but who knew?
    Once upon a time, there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.
  • Options
    I thought I wanted ballgown... this was my "dream" dress...

I bought a flute style dress... this one...

Same designer tho ;)
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I initially thought I wanted a dress with some color in it and I really wanted a halter gown. So, when I was looking online, this was my dream dress.

But, the dress was discontinued... and I couldnt' find it anywhere to try on.  So, when I went shopping, all I knew was that I wanted bling bling and more bling... and tulle, lots of it. 

I ended up with a subdued, chiffon dress..

• Options
    Back in the day when I was dress shopping, this was my dream dress.  I loved everything about it from the shape to the colors on it.  I even set my dress budget specifically so I could afford this dress.  It's Maggie Sottero's Eleganza.  It's been discontinued for a while now.  However, when I tried it on, it really did nothing for me.  It was beautiful, but I felt very underwhelmed in it.

I ended up with an A-line still.  It's a Jasmine Couture.  It's been discontinued for several years now as well.  My dress has spaghetti straps.  I hate spaghetti straps, but for some reason it looks gorgeous on me!  I still love my dress.  I'm excited to finally be able to wear it.

This is the stock photo.

Here's me in my dress.  I think it looks better on me than the model.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• Options
    I thought I'd get a mermaid style with sweetheart top. I ended up getting a fit and flare with some poof on the bottom and a sweetheart top. I LOVE IT!

Here I am! =)

• Options
    It always amazes me how many girls end up getting a dress that was completely different than what they imagined.

This is what I originally imagined myself in:

And this is what I got:
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I guess I'm the exception!

I know what I like, I know what looks good on my body and I tend to like very simple looks.  I loved the look of a sweetheart neckline dress with no beading/embellishment except for a beaded sash.  This is what I thought I wanted:

When I tried it on, I ended up buying a dress that had a similar style but had a longer torso on the dress (I'm tall and have a small waist) and was made of a nicer fabric (all silk) and bought a sash on Etsy to wear with it.

Basically, I ended up buying what I thought I wanted and went in saying "I would like a sweetheart neckline A-Line Dress with some rouching fitted through the top that I can wear a sash with.  Very simple, no pouf, no embellishment."  That's what I got!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I wanted a dress similar to this Amsale dress (I could not afford a $4k dress!) but every place I went to didn't have anything close.

This is what I ended up with, but will be altering it some. Taking out the crinoline so it isn't poofy, and deepening the sweetheart to a point at the top, and adding straps. It was only $300 so I went with it. It has pockets too!

• Options
    this is so fun :)

i originally wanted this dress...love all kinds of bling, lace, shine....1st dress i picked out of a magazine!!!!

its the only dress i actually cried when i tried on....and then my mother and aunt called it goudy and ornate....

so that dress got cut although i still love it...i couldnt stand at the end of the aisle thinking my mom hated it so i went with this one instead and i love it just as much :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My 1st "dream" dress. Tried it on and realized that the color accents weren't really for me & the dress made my 5'1 frame look shorter than I want.

This is my 2nd "dream" dress. I fell in love with the ruffles in the back. But when I tried it on, I felt too much like a board (just straight up & down) and it was pretty plain.

My current dream dress/what I got. Tried it on, felt like an angel & just knew it was "the one" and haven't looked back since.

So I went from wanting a halter, a-line style dress with color accents to a sleek style with ruffles and ended up with a chiffon one shoulder, somewhat fit n flare style.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards