September 2012 Weddings
Options

Videography... or not... opinions?

So FI and I are really struggling with the videographer thing. He thinks it's way too much money ($1800) but I'm afraid I'll regret not having video because the big day is going to be an absolute blur. I am spending so much time planning this thing and I want to have the memories captured! On the other hand, FI makes a good point that we are spending an arm and a leg on photography already and that should suffice.

I looked into a cheaper videographer but I've really found that you get what you pay for (for the most part) and if I invested in it, I would want something good.

Anybody else made a decision on this yet? HELP!!

Re: Videography... or not... opinions?

• Options
    I had the same debate with my FI!  He could not understand why I wanted a videographer after we spent so much on a photographer.  I told him it was important to me to and that I would pay for it on my own bc that's how badly I wanted it (our videographer is the same price as our photag..yikes!)  He eventually told me that he would split the cost with me (bc he's the sweetest man ever) even though I still don't think he understands.  I grew up with my dad videotaping everything- holidays, birthdays, family picnics and I cherish those videos and love going back to watch them.  I want to show our kids and grandkids our wedding...I think they would love it.
  • Options
    I was totally dead set against having a videographer at my wedding, until I saw how much my friend's daughter loves to sit and watcher her parent's wedding.  FI also made a good point in that it's a nice way to look back and see the antics and hear the voices of those that will have passed on in another 10, 20, 40 years.  We have the video of FSIL's wedding at our house because FI likes to pop it in every once in awhile and see is grandmothers and his uncle who passed a few years ago.  I never knew any of them so it was nice for me to be able to see them and how much it meant to FI to be able to "look back" and hear their voices again.  For those reasons we've decided to have a videographer at our wedding. 

It's definitely a personal decision though, if it's not in the budget then the photos should suffice.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    220 image 123 image 21 image
  • Options
    We didn't go with a videographer.  It's just not within our budget.  I'm not that upset about it.  My family has never really done the whole video-ing thing.  Plus, I feel super awkward when I know someone is taping something let alone taking pictures, but that's just me :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_videography-or-not-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:cdcd2b8f-94ca-4aec-821e-3437ef5c4e8aPost:86a3befe-9f23-47f1-88ed-86b8386f3e55">Re: Videography... or not... opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had the same debate with my FI!  He could not understand why I wanted a videographer after we spent so much on a photographer.  I told him it was important to me to and that<strong> I would pay for it on my own</strong> bc that's how badly I wanted it (our videographer is the same price as our photag..yikes!)  He eventually told me that he would split the cost with me (bc he's the sweetest man ever) even though I still don't think he understands.  I grew up with <strong>my dad videotaping everything</strong>- holidays, birthdays, family picnics and I cherish those videos and love going back to watch them.  I want to show our kids and grandkids our wedding...I think they would love it.
    Posted by LoriG41[/QUOTE]

My dad did this too! We have so many home videos and I LOVE watching them even now. It just cracks me up to see myself as a kid! Maybe that's part of the reason I just can't let it go.

I keep telling FI I can cover it... with my tax return haha. But really, I have the money but it's a tough decision to put so much into a video. I think FI sees it as $2K for a 3 minute music video, but I can see the amount of time/effort that goes into making it, which is why it's so expensive. I think we'll be able to get the raw footage on top of the highlights video.

Really, FI is getting annoyed with me at this point because he just wants the decision to be made, but he (and FMIL) have made it clear that they just don't think it's worth it. I guess FBIL/SIL had one and it burned a hole in their pockets with really bad results. 
  • Options
    Starfish0116Starfish0116 member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    I really want a video, but I'm not sure it's going to be in the budget yet.

To me, video is like photography. It's one of those things where you really get what you pay for. I wouldn't spend 2k or less on video because every videographer I've seen in that price range just isn't that good or the style I like and I feel it would be a waste of money. The video team I want (really, they're cinematographers) cost at much as my photographer - which ain't cheap! ;)

Some people don't think it's worth it because they don't see themselves watching them. Personally, I LOVE watching wedding videos and have pretty much as long as I can remember. I'm pretty sure I'd wear my own video out. :)

FWIW, my FI pretty much gave in to the photo budget I set. Since I'm a photographer, he knew that it was really important to me. We don't see eye to eye on the cost of the videographer, as so I haven't won that battle.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_videography-or-not-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:cdcd2b8f-94ca-4aec-821e-3437ef5c4e8aPost:e35ef15f-4208-4dc6-81f6-1617b534968a">Re: Videography... or not... opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]FI also made a good point in that it's a nice way to look back and see the antics and hear the voices of those that will have passed on in another 10, 20, 40 years.  We have the video of FSIL's wedding at our house because FI likes to pop it in every once in awhile and see is grandmothers and his uncle who passed a few years ago.  I never knew any of them so it was nice for me to be able to see them and how much it meant to FI to be able to "look back" and hear their voices again.  For those reasons we've decided to have a videographer at our wedding.  It's definitely a personal decision though, if it's not in the budget then the photos should suffice.
    Posted by Sarah&Eric2012[/QUOTE]

<div>I couldn't agree more. That's what happens when we watch my sister's wedding video. So many people have unfortunately passed away and hearing their voices and seeing them having fun is priceless. I'm also expecting that the day will be a blur and so much will happen that I will forget (I have SUCH a terrible memory!). </div><div>
    </div><div>That said, my fiance and I had the same conversation where he didn't think it was that important. So we compromised. I found a top student in a local film school who had done some weddings at my venue; I loved his work and he was significantly less than most of the other videographers.</div><div>
    </div><div>It's a tough choice but I say do what's in your heart!  </div>
  • Options
    Have you looked into wedit.com? Britt mentioned it awhile back and I checked it out. It was a good option for us because it wasn't in our original budget (we are more picture ppl) but with our choreographed dance and other special moments, we wanted video. It's very reasonably priced and you can capture some really need parts of the wedding you wouldn't see.
    You get all the footage and can create your own montages if you wish; so you can make it your style ;)
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    We are absolutely having a videographer.  FI and I have several elderly family members who are unable to travel and really upset about missing the wedding and by having a videographer, they can still experience the ceremony and reception.  I also really want to have a video, just for my personal use.  I too, grew up with a Dad who videoed every easter egg hunt, school recitle, and christmas morning, AND when technology updated, he had all his tapes converted to DVDs.  There are some priceless and really funny moments on those DVD, including personal moments with my late grandparents.  I'm so glad I have them and I am really glad I am having a videographer.

I say if you can find the money and it's important to you, you really should do it.  If it's not a big deal to you, then pass.  It seems like it's important now.  If you don't do it you could seriously regret it, and you don't want regret on your wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers

image 225 Invited so far!
    image 148 Are ready to party!
    image 77 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_videography-or-not-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:cdcd2b8f-94ca-4aec-821e-3437ef5c4e8aPost:b4089877-faff-4524-a812-ea3f72a5cab6">Re: Videography... or not... opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE] If you don't do it you could seriously regret it, and you don't want regret on your wedding day.
    Posted by SCogs18[/QUOTE]

This has kind of been our philosophy. We don't want to regret anything. We don't want to go crazy, but we don't want to look back and say "oh I wish we would have done that."
    invitationcombo Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice ladies!

I found out the videographer I'm considering will include full-length ceremony video (from one angle) as well as toasts on top of the highlights video in his pricing. Plus, you pay half before the wedding and half afterward to ensure your satisfaction with the product, which makes me feel at ease. Crossing my fingers that we can make it work!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_videography-or-not-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:cdcd2b8f-94ca-4aec-821e-3437ef5c4e8aPost:847c3a98-918c-40d2-aa33-1e0ab69fcff2">Re: Videography... or not... opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We didn't go with a videographer.  It's just not within our budget.  I'm not that upset about it.  My family has never really done the whole video-ing thing.  Plus, I feel super awkward when I know someone is taping something let alone taking pictures, but that's just me :)
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

<div>This is me. I mean, I would probably look into it if we had endless money, but there's so many other priorities above it for me. Plus, I would probably feel even more awkward during the ceremony/reception because I would know someone's not just catching my movement, but my voice and everything. I tend to criticize myself for little things (like the way my voice sounds or the way I laugh) so it would probably turn into that. Plus, I'd watch it for a few months and then put it away in a box. Pictures ar MUCH more important to me because I loooooove pictures and when we get our house, I'll have tons on the walls and displayed on tables, etc.</div><div>
    </div><div>If it's really something you think you can't live without, I'd sit FI down and tell him that and why it's so important to you. Then try and figure out how you can afford one of your budget. We went through the same for a DJ. At first we said we'd do an IPod wedding, but then I got to thinking about how I want everyone dancing the whole night and how stressed I would be leading up to and then at the wedding. So FI understood and I tweaked the budget a little bit. =)</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_videography-or-not-opinions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:cdcd2b8f-94ca-4aec-821e-3437ef5c4e8aPost:847c3a98-918c-40d2-aa33-1e0ab69fcff2">Re: Videography... or not... opinions?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We didn't go with a videographer.  It's just not within our budget.  I'm not that upset about it.  My family has never really done the whole video-ing thing.  Plus, I feel super awkward when I know someone is taping something let alone taking pictures, but that's just me :)
    Posted by lbarr088[/QUOTE]

<div>This was FI & I take on a videographer. But if it's important to you & your family, check & see if there is a local university jounrnalism/film student who could use some extra field work.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We decided to do a video too.  At first FI didn't want too but I explained to him why it was so important to me. Now he is paying for the photography and I am paying for videography. (its cheaper and he let me have that once since I still don't have a full time teaching position yet!)
    Soon to be Mrs. Roberts :)Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• Options
    At first I didn't want a videographer because of the expense. The more I thought about it and read the opinions of brides who have regretted not doing it, I really wanted one. I looked into Wedit as well and it may be a comprable solution. I just can't sell it to FI. He gets really worked up when we talk about it. He's stressed about money as it is, so I don't want to push it. I think we will regret it though if we don't do it. Especially for the reasons of wanting to hear the voices of people we love and show the video to our children. I wish I could find a way to convince him. 
  • Options
    I think if it is really important to you it is worth it.  I think wedit is a cool option that is more affordable.  We are on a super tight budget and are forgoing a lot of things at our wedding so videography isn't even close to the top of the list of where we can splurge.  We also know we won't watch it.  I also come from a family that videotaped everything.  And I never watch them.  It is nice in theory but just not what I value personally.  The 5 hour reception we can't fathom watching again but I did think it would be nice to have video record of our vows.  So we own a camcorder and are just going to set it on a tripod for our ceremony.  It is free and what is most important to us.  And, since it is only going to be a 30 minute ceremony something we would realistically watch on anniversaries or something. 
  • Options
    We will def have one as a child I watched my parents wedding video so many times I'm almost sure I broke it. It was so awesome to feel like I was there and hear my parents laugh and talk about how they felt on the day. It only made sense for me to do it for myself. I too grew up with a dad that needed everything on tape and same for FI. I can't wait to look back with kids and feel like it was just yesterday. Most importantly I want to capture the ceremony. I want to see the look on FI's face when I come down the aisle and capture the emotions of our loved ones on what will be the happiest day of my life. I know that will be the most watched DVD in our house. Also my dad wants one I know he plans on sending it to relatives that couldn't make it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We will have one for sure too.  My Dad currently has a health condition which I am not sure will allow him to attend my wedding. Thus, getting a videographer was a must.  The one we have is a budget buster but it is going to be well worth given the type of product he produces.  Even if my Dad wasn't ill, I most likely would still get a videographer because I know there are going to be some moments the photographer may miss and I want to capture as many memories of my day as possible. 

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards