September 2012 Weddings

Carpeted aisle runner nightmare

So, I am having an outdoor ceremony and I have no intention of wearing flat shoes.  I am buying "solemates" to try to avoid sinkage, but I also thought about getting a carpet aisle runner.  Those flimsy fabric ones aren't so great for outdoor ceremonies.

So, these carpeted things aren't cheap. I found one the sears website and it was 3' x 25' ... for about $130.00 (see link).   I was also going to buy a 10' one so we could stand on it during the ceremony... which was about $80.00.  So, I was already going to have to spend $200.00 to get what I want!

Fast forwared... this weekend, we go over to the venue to measure the space and make sure 25' will be long enough... and we totally redesign where we are going to have the ceremony.  It's going to have a much more beautiful background, and will be further away from the parking area...   but, now, I have to walk across 64' of grass and then up 25' of aisle!  And, I still need the 10' for us to stand on !   They only have up to a 50 foot runner and its $230.00!   That's over $400.00 just in CARPET!   Carpet that I will never use again!

Blah. I am not sure what to do at this point.   I thought about just buying that crappy plastic off the roll at home depot, so I have something to walk on... but, all I need is to slip on that stuff.   I'm at a loss !

EDIT: to include original link of the sears carpet I was/am maybe still planning on using.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6484792302P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Re: Carpeted aisle runner nightmare

• I've heard bad things about the paper/plastic runners, like punching holes in them and tripping bad.  Have you checked into renting runners?  Maybe you could check with a party rental place and see if they have anything like that to rent. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're having a church wedding so this isn't something that I have to worry about, but is there a way you could make your own?  Like I know that the "outdoor carpet" (the green stuff that looks like mini golf green) is super duper cheap.  Could you buy that and then layer frabic over it?  I'm not sure how thick it needs to be or anything, just an idea. 
  • I've heard that too ! That's why I didn't want to get the plastic/paper runners.  All I need is to sink through it and trip and fall.     I did call a few rental places... they have them for about $250.00 for RENT!  Isn't that ridiculous !!! 
  • I thought about doing that green fake grass stuff.  My only concern about that, is the bottom of my dress snagging on it. That stuff seems so "hard".    It doesn't really need to be all that thick, just have a rubber backing so I can't sink through it.
  • Holy crap, that is ridic. Did you buy your shoes yet? I hate be say it but sometimes the logistics of things just don't go together. We will be walking across grass as well, but we will all be in cowboy boots so there will be no real sink/trip issue as there would be in heels. That plastic "turf" stuff may be ok, even if it looks kinda chinsy.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_carpeted-aisle-runner-nightmare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:d6a4a109-6a95-4da0-b224-1ec918fcff0dPost:fc08ba1c-7331-4e5e-aa14-d81be83bb211">Re: Carpeted aisle runner nightmare</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard that too ! That's why I didn't want to get the plastic/paper runners.  All I need is to sink through it and trip and fall.     I did call a few rental places... they have them for about $250.00 for RENT!  Isn't that ridiculous !!! 
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

That's crazy!!  In that case, I'd probably buy the carpet and then sell it to another bride afterwards.  At least you could probably recoup most of your costs.  Otherwise, could you get wedges or flats to wear for the ceremony?  May just be a cheaper and less stressful way to go to change out the shoes.  You could always change your shoes for the reception and photos. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You know...   I would do that... except, I found my dream shoes...  and ... I am pretty much known as a shoe person...  I probably own 150 pairs of shoes... and none of them are flats or wedges.  I have a few pairs of sneakers and some work style loafers, but the rest of them area all stilettos... 

these are my shoes.  I just can't see walking down the aisle in anything else.  I am going to HATE having to pay $400.00 bucks for friggin carpet though!

• Do you have a shoe repair store in your town? It is possible to convert heels to wedges. I dont know how much it would cost but it might be a cheaper alternative to carpet and still let you where those awesome shoes.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_carpeted-aisle-runner-nightmare?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:d6a4a109-6a95-4da0-b224-1ec918fcff0dPost:a6fa057f-1e7b-4fee-9bc5-0adec65dba5d">Re: Carpeted aisle runner nightmare</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do you have a shoe repair store in your town? It is possible to convert heels to wedges. I dont know how much it would cost but it might be a cheaper alternative to carpet and still let you where those awesome shoes.
    Posted by ladyalyssia29[/QUOTE]

There is no way on the planet I would turn these shoes into a wedge heel.  I actually have a hate/hate relationship with wedges.  I don't find them attractive at all... and only own one pair that I bought to match a dress when we were going to a festival in a park. 

So... that's not an option at all.  Also, I am only going to be on the grass for the ceremony.  The reception is indoors.... so, I only need to deal with this issue for walking down the "aisle".   I wouldn't want to ruin these amazing shoes forever to try to fix a 20 minute issue. 

I think I'm going to have to just suck it up and buy the carpet runners.  I hate doing it... but, maybe I can sell them afterwards to some other bride that is having the same problem. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards