September 2012 Weddings
Options

Labor Day Weekend Brides

Hi everyone, still trying to figure out my wedding dates. But we are thinking either 9/2 or possibly 5/27 (Memorial Day Weekend).

Anyone else doing a Labor Day Weekend wedding? How have your outcomes been with possibly guests not coming or actually liking this idea?

Thanks! Hope to pick a date soon

Re: Labor Day Weekend Brides

• Options
    Hey there!  We are having our wedding on 9/2 on Sunday.  Everyone is from OOT but we are anticipating a good turnout since we are having it @ Disney.  Family is going to get that surprise this week when we give everyone the heads up.  My FMIL asked that I at least let FI's side know since they live up north.  I'm excited!! Good luck to you whatever your choice is.  I like Labor Day because it gives almost everyone an extra day.  I wanted a Sunday because many are traveling so far and I wanted to give an extra day to rest before our ceremony.
    80 said yes image
  • Options
    Hi we have decided on 9/1/2012. We know that it will be hectic with vendors and that it will be a popular day, but we think we can handle it if we get a lot of things done early :-) Wish us Luck...lol
  • Options
    We picked 9/1/12 too.  I think it will be a bonus to have another day already off, especially for the out-of-towners.  Around here memorial day is way bigger than labor day.
  • Options

I wondered the same thing. The knot actually suggests not planning your wedding on Labor Day weekend because it is such a heavy travel time and it might be more expensive. We are going with 9/1 or 9/2 anyway.

Several of our close friends/relatives will still be in college and a lot of my family is traveling from NY to NC. I think if they have a day to travel there (Friday or Saturday) and a day to travel home (Monday) it would remove a lot of stress and not force anyone to take time off work. I just hope the NC heat/humidity isn't too bad!  : )

Another point, our wedding are over two years away. We should have PLENTY of time to send out save the dates. If you send STD out a year + in advance those people who want to attend won’t plan a vacation during that time. Most people don’t plan vacations for three day weekends that far out.

• Options
    We're planning 9/2/12 and so far, we've had a good response. I'm excited to have it on a sunday because that will hopefully mean we'll save some money as opposed to a saturday wedding.
    image 141 Invited so far!
    image 112 Are ready to party!
    image 29 Will be missing out!
    image 0 Are MIA!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We picked September 1, 2012 also! We checked with some of the guests that will be travelling to see if that weekend would work and they all said it was good for them so we decided to do it. Can't wait :)
  • Options
    edited August 2010

Our date is Sunday 9/2/12.  The savings on the hall/food were astronomical, and most people will have Monday off anyway.  I do have several guests coming from out of town, and this gives them an extra travel day.  We haven't heard any negative feedback about the holiday weekend yet. 

76 invited image 35 ready to partyimage 41 staying homeimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

We decided to do 9/1/2012 too. We also have alot of OOT guest and having a long weekend works for us.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    yeah!  we are date twins and city twins :)  where are you planning on getting married?
  • Options
    @ kissamary, I called Embassy Suites KCI yesterday to check their propety out. My FI want's everything in one spot. Any suggestions? Want to stay in the Northland.

Yalonda
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We chose 9/1/2012 too. This past Labor Day I did sort of a test run with the expenses and traveling and found the opposite of what most critics say to actually be true. We took our vacation as an opportunity to run through everything to see if this would be a huge inconvenience for guest. So far everyone has indicated that they wouldn’t find a problem with it since we are giving them such a far in advance notice but we found that the holiday travel wasn’t bad at all and the hotel rates were very affordable. There were a lot of deals being offered to get those last minute vacationers and airfare was the cheapest I’ve ever paid. I recalled two years ago it being the same but decided to check again. Hopefully this holds up through 2012 but so far it seems like a good weekend for us.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_labor-day-weekend-brides?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:d9012d68-1c6c-4aa4-b7a0-70bd2734bc77Post:a625cf0c-ec42-4eb0-84bc-d0a09ffb7806">Re: Labor Day Weekend Brides</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ kissamary, I called Embassy Suites KCI yesterday to check their propety out. My FI want's everything in one spot. Any suggestions? Want to stay in the Northland. Yalonda
    Posted by yogiebhill[/QUOTE]

We already booked the elms resort in excelsior springs.  I also wanted it all in one spot with a place to stay for OOTguests, and they had it!  the Embassy Suites looks really pretty in pictures.  I know there are a lot of nice hotels like that around KC.  My mom got married at the Loretto back in 2001, and it was really nice, but I'm not sure north that is. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards