September 2012 Weddings
Options

Dress decision......... PIC heavy.

So. I went to the sample sale...   I tried on a handfull of dresses and was ready to buy one... and then realized, "um, this is almost like my original dress... only taffeta instead of chiffon".  So, the consultant went and pulled my original dress... and I tried it on again.  I really do like it a LOT more than I remembered.    

then, I realized that the majority of the dresses I had just tried on were very very similar to my dress.  So, I asked the consultant to pull me "anything that was DIFFERENT" than my dress, and was on sale for the sample sale....    She pulled a mermaid (um, mermaid, with my hips??).  I tried it on... and my FSIL and my friend both said OMG.  That is SOOO you.   It is SOOO Vaaavaaaaavooooom!!!!     My consultant said "omg.. Jessica Rabbit !"     I really liked it... it was super fun!   I still wasn't sure though, because I think my dress is much more "bridal" and elegant. 

But, it was 50% off of their SALE price. So, it was SUPER cheap.  (895.00 dress... on sale for about $300.)

So... I decided, screw it.  For 300 bucks, I'm just going to buy it.  I can either wear it, or sell it.   And the sample is in GREAT shape.   I don't think a lot of plus size girls have the guts to try on mermaid gowns... so, I don't think it was heavily tried on before.  It wasn't dirty...  no snags, all of the beading is there.

So... now, I have two dresses.  LOL     I am going to make a decision in the next week or two about what to do... but, at this point, I'm leaning towards wearing my original dress for my ceremony... and maybe having the mermaid dress altered to remove the train and changing in to that later for a fun, flirty reception dress.

Here are a few pictures.  I still look a hot mess (woke up late and didn't have time to do too much to my hair).   And barely no makeup.

Here is my original dress... with me in it.    Needs to be altered in the waist (a lil big) and have the boob area taken in so it lays against me.  (PS.  these pics were taken when I picked up my dress about 6 weeks ago. My hair is finaly a little longer than this)

Here is the mermaid dress I just got for a crazy bargain.

Re: Dress decision......... PIC heavy.

• Options
    Very pretty on both accounts!!  I still think the first one is beautiful on you, and that second one is sexy and fun!  I was also looking at dress pictures tonight.  I think I will stay with the one I have, but I keep looking for photos of it on other people to make sure it looks okay.
    Once upon a time, there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.
  • Options
    jessa1228jessa1228 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    I really like your first dress. That's my vote.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    They both look nice on you, but I can definitely see why your friends said va va voom on the mermaid.  That would get my vote if you were going to go with just one.  But since you already have two, I like your idea of using it as a reception dress.

So In Love

Josh and Renata's Wedding

Planning Bio

• Options
    I like the idea of both, but if you are picking just 1, the original dress has my vote. You look really great in both though, so either would not be a bad decision!

ps- I can't believe you refer to yourself as a plus sized girl! Not in my eyes!! Gorg!
  • Options
    I LOVE the second dress, I don't know if it's just because it fits better, but I feel like it looks and is more flattering in the mid section. But they're both pretty, I just think the second one is more flattering
  • Options

I think you look absolutely gorgeous in dress #1!!!!

The soon to be........MRS. WHITTEN
  • Options
    They both really look great, but I think the first one is more bridal as you say. The second one definitely says party dress more than the second, so if you can keep both and change for the reception, that is perfect!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm gonna say the first, but I am biased strongly against those mermaid dresses. I am just NOT a fan. For you personally, I like the way the first one shapes you. The second one looks like "Yup, thats a mermaid dress." It is va-va-voom, but really doesn't seem to show elegance and beauty, it just shows... dress. I find myself looking more at all the stuff going on (the ruffles, layers, texture, shape) than at YOU. Whereas the first one, I see a bride, not just a gown.

Thats just me though!!! Its up to how YOU feel.
  • Options
    Is the second one mori lee 1606? I think it is and if it is that is my dress:-)

You look great in both dresses but I think I like the first one better on you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_dress-decision-pic-heavy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:e8a16d47-6aba-489d-a29c-26a556ac5bd6Post:f5cfa2ea-0445-4421-b6c9-e9d3c9f7a4d1">Dress decision......... PIC heavy.</a>:
    [QUOTE]So. I went to the sample sale...   I tried on a handfull of dresses and was ready to buy one... and then realized, "um, this is almost like my original dress... only taffeta instead of chiffon".  So, the consultant went and pulled my original dress... and I tried it on again.  I really do like it a LOT more than I remembered.     then, I realized that the majority of the dresses I had just tried on were very very similar to my dress.  So, I asked the consultant to pull me "anything that was DIFFERENT" than my dress, and was on sale for the sample sale....    She pulled a mermaid (um, mermaid, with my hips??).  I tried it on... and my FSIL and my friend both said OMG.  That is SOOO you.   It is SOOO Vaaavaaaaavooooom!!!!     My consultant said "omg.. Jessica Rabbit !"     I really liked it... it was super fun!   I still wasn't sure though, because I think my dress is much more "bridal" and elegant.  But, it was 50% off of their SALE price. So, it was SUPER cheap.  (895.00 dress... on sale for about $300.) So... I decided, screw it.  For 300 bucks, I'm just going to buy it.  I can either wear it, or sell it.   And the sample is in GREAT shape.   I don't think a lot of plus size girls have the guts to try on mermaid gowns... so, I don't think it was heavily tried on before.  It wasn't dirty...  no snags, all of the beading is there. So... now, I have two dresses.  LOL     I am going to make a decision in the next week or two about what to do... but, at this point, I'm leaning towards wearing my original dress for my ceremony... and maybe having the mermaid dress altered to remove the train and changing in to that later for a fun, flirty reception dress. Here are a few pictures.  I still look a hot mess (woke up late and didn't have time to do too much to my hair).   And barely no makeup. Here is my original dress... with me in it.    Needs to be altered in the waist (a lil big) and have the boob area taken in so it lays against me.  (PS.  these pics were taken when I picked up my dress about 6 weeks ago. My hair is finaly a little longer than this) Here is the mermaid dress I just got for a crazy bargain.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]

I really love you in the 1st one!!!
  • Options
    I would vote the first one-I think it flatters your shape more. The second one is pretty but I think the first one is more you.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_dress-decision-pic-heavy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:e8a16d47-6aba-489d-a29c-26a556ac5bd6Post:ee6aaa79-da89-4c8f-a2b8-d57f7d62890d">Re: Dress decision......... PIC heavy.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Is the second one mori lee 1606? I think it is and if it is that is my dress:-) You look great in both dresses but I think I like the first one better on you.
    Posted by npott044[/QUOTE]

It is a Mori Lee.... just the plus size version of 1606. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_dress-decision-pic-heavy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:e8a16d47-6aba-489d-a29c-26a556ac5bd6Post:de88d03f-5872-42a0-8b46-1a7cad4fd962">Re: Dress decision......... PIC heavy.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I LOVE the second dress, I don't know if it's just because it fits better, but I feel like it looks and is more flattering in the mid section. But they're both pretty, I just think the second one is more flattering
    Posted by bridezillatobe2009[/QUOTE]

thanks!  It's actually NOT more flattering in the mid section... I just didn't give a side view picture... my tummy pooch shows pretty well in both dresses. But, I didn't have a decent pair of spanx on for either set of pictures.  they were the cheapo off brand that I picked up at Marshalls on the way to the appt, because I forgot my spanx. 

So, hopefully, whichever I decide on... the alterations and spanx will help.
  • Options
    I am hoping with alterations on both dresses, it will pull my belly in some...  and with the right spanx...    the corset was pulled all the way tight at the bottom, so it needs to be taken in some on my waist

here is a sideview picture of both dresses:

mermaid

My original dress - sideview

• Options
    ejheartejheart member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Ooh, especially with those last pics you posted, I vote for your original dress! It is so stunning! Like PP said, I think the mermaid dress is very va-va-voom, but I see more dress than I do bride. BUT, also like PPs said, ultimately it is YOUR decision! You will look amazing either way! I do like the idea of shortening the mermaid and making it a going-away or late reception dress. Very fun. :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    You look beautiful in both dresses.  I am a big fan of mermaid but I still like the first dress better if you only choose one.  Like PP said, the second dress draws a lot of attention so I think for the reception since everyone is already seen you, it would be perfect if you use both.  Definitely the first one for your ceremony though as it is very elegant and fits you nicely without taking away the attention that should be on you when you walk down the aisle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards