September 2012 Weddings
Options

NWR: Birthday gift for 1 yr old

My friend's little girl is turning 1...I have no idea what to give her.  

Can any mommas on here help me out?

I was leaning toward educational toy (Melissa & Doug) or money?  But if I give cash I have no idea what's appropriate...I was thinking $30?

Any other ideas?

Re: NWR: Birthday gift for 1 yr old

• Options
    I'm not a mom but my friend is coming into town in a few weeks and we will celebrate her son's first bday that week. I made sure to ask her his size or what size she would like to have availible for him. I think asking the mom what to get helps too, since some items are not ok. In my friend's case, she also has a Saint Bernard, so stuffed animals are not good toys because the dog likes them more than the baby. Some people find out a child likes a certain cartoon or movie, and before you know it, the parents are up to their eyes in stuff that the kid will be sick of in 6 months. I think $30 is plenty if you are thinking of money.

That's just my 2c, but I think the moms on here will be more help.
  • Options
    I'm not a mom either but I've done (and still do) a ton of babysitting.  Every parent is different about what they like their kid to do/have and not do/have.  So I agree with Cowgirl to ask your friend.
  • Options
    egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    Not a parent either, but baby-sit a lot as well as having young nieces and nephews.  PP's are right, every parent is different on what is acceptable.  Two safe bets are clothes and books, but you need to know what size the kid is, although going up a size is usually safe, unless the item is ultra seasonal.  With books, try to get board books for that age, they tend to get into a page ripping phase somewhere between 1 and 2.  I always try to get a gift receipt because it's really hard to say whether they already have that book, etc.  I would think $30 is more than adequate if you wanted to go the cash route.
  • Options
    When I was that young, I seemed to get mostly savings bonds, which I ended up really appreciating when I went to college. Since she's too young to really know what's going on, this might be a nice option for you. You'd only need to spend $25 for a $50 savings bond!
    Sept 2012 Siggy: Bridesmaid Dresses!
    But instead of yellow, mine will be peridot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We do savings bonds for my neices every birthday too.  My neice was 1 at christmas-we got her a few toys that have music or sounds, I got her/her mom a fisherprice I-phone case the phone pops in and it has handles so baby can hold it and its protected but then it has games and sounds and what not-she's obsessed with mom and dads phones so it it does something  she's exciting and then she can't hurt it or call someone accidently.  It has an app you download so mom jsut selects that ap and pops it in like in the car or whatever and madeline is happy as can be.  We buy lots of clothes too because its so fun to shop for little girls.  Then her favorite toy was this fisherprice bongo drum that plays liek caribean music, Madeline loves music so it was a hit http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3829912

Pretty much we got to Toys 'R Us or Kohls and look at everything fischer price their laugh and learn toys are great use their age guides.

Sept 2012 Siggy:Bridesmaids' Dresses
    Bari Jay 911 in Raspberry
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards