Interracial Weddings
Options

Living with different cultures and tradiions

Hi ladies! This is random but ive been wanting to ask.

Are there any customs or traditions that you/FI have had to adapt to since living together? Race or non race related.

My FI is from a small, SMALL ,town (farm-raised) and attends a non-denominational christian church. (a lot of christian rock). Im a big city girl in every way and was raised in a baptist church with Gospel music. Im not a fan of his church but what can you do? Plus there is no mall or anything exciting for that matter very close by. lol

What about you?
" he's the perfect rhyme to a tight beat." Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Living with different cultures and tradiions

• Options
    edited December 2011

the hellos and the goodbyes... my FI cultures is like the longest process in saying hi and bye to people...when you enter a room, you have to say hi personally to each person by huging and kissing cheeks...when it is like 50 people in a room...it takes a while, you also do the same when leaving...and when new people arrive..you have to stand and wait for them to greet you and getting around to you might take a while....lol...but I am use to it now...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    His church. I was raised Pentecostal which is lots of Gospel and a lively sermon. He was raised Catholic which a bit more tame to say the least. lol
  • Options
    happe2getherhappe2gether member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think the biggest difference has to do with the kinds of fods we eat.  FI and family are from Wisconsin so lots of midwestern type foods while I on the otherhand come from a southern family used to eating soul food. 

FI family is mostly Catholic with some Lutheran while my family is Baptist. 
    80 said yes image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am Californian and very laid back and well American where my FI is Belgian and they do have their differences when it comes to even holding your knife and fork. They kiss both cheeks when greeting and they work very hard. I have stayed in Belgium a few times to get used to being there. I am moving there after the wedding so I had to learn French, I am in my 2nd semester of French now. I think the hardest thing is learning the language because I am going to have to speak it well enough to get a job.
    Photobucket
    "Ever Thine, Ever Mine, Ever Ours"
    Janae & Olivier

Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_living-different-cultures-tradiions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:e8170ad5-7089-47c6-a088-a49ca416f7b1Post:bc5039f7-1aab-46ee-9fc6-1c0395a99bf5">Re: Living with different cultures and tradiions</a>:
    [QUOTE]the hellos and the goodbyes... my FI cultures is like the longest process in saying hi and bye to people...when you enter a room, you have to say hi personally to each person by huging and kissing cheeks...when it is like 50 people in a room...it takes a while, you also do the same when leaving...and when new people arrive..you have to stand and wait for them to greet you and getting around to you might take a while....lol...but I am use to it now...
    Posted by JloveB[/QUOTE]

Mine too! My FI is pacific islander...
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards