Interracial Weddings
Options

Paigejessica, North Dakota?!?

Paigejessica, I saw your response in the "getting along" post, and I have to admit I was kinda surprised that your FI is from ND.  How did you two meet?  When you went to visit, were there any other black people there?  I can't imagine ND being a diverse place at all.  I once had a date with a guy from Montana and he said there weren't ANY black people where he grew up (I was actually the first black woman he ever dated).  I imagine it being something similar.

Side note:  I remember in elementary school we had a project where we had to write to a state asking them for information so we could write a report on that state.  I was assigned North Dakota, and I've always been intrigued (and wanted to visit) ever since.

Re: Paigejessica, North Dakota?!?

• Options
    Hey!

We met at work :) We're both in the computer animation industry and moved out to Los Angeles to find jobs. When I was hired at my first studio there he was, sitting in his cubicle looking so handsome ;). I asked him out for like 7 months before he finally went to a party with me.

When I went to North Dakota ummm no...there were NO black people there. I felt like the only one in the state! And I felt under extreme scrutiny because I was there for his giant family reunion. He has around 60 first cousins (yes, 60!), 11 aunts and uncles, 20 second cousins...and they were ALL there. Everyone was nice to me so it was a fun trip. His grandparents tried their damndest to be cordial but I know his grandma was thinking "hmmm..." lol. FI is the first of his family to marry out :D

I absolutely LOVE North Dakota. To visit, anyway. It's so rural, there's just wide open skies as far as you can see. The land is SO beautiful too. On his grandparents land there are canyons and rivers and forest. It's amazing :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sounds like a beautiful place.  I'm sure going there was a bit intimidating, being the only black person for miles AND meeting the family! 

You two make a lovely couple :)  He's a cutie!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_paigejessica-north-dakota?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:e8270a3d-c68c-4d4a-ab9a-4aab6150cc23Post:eb6c6445-e4df-49d7-8f46-5d71099303c1">Re: Paigejessica, North Dakota?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like a beautiful place.  I'm sure going there was a bit intimidating, being the only black person for miles AND meeting the family!  You two make a lovely couple :)  He's a cutie!
    Posted by littleluckypenny[/QUOTE]

<div>Thanks! It was intimidating until they got me working to round up calves. Then I felt like I was like everyone else and at home lol. This may sound funny but cowboy/farmer work with your hands sunrise to sunset type white people were SO much more comfortable to be around than WASP type upper class white people. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_paigejessica-north-dakota?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:e8270a3d-c68c-4d4a-ab9a-4aab6150cc23Post:ff547c45-e8a6-46df-a8e8-a7b48fab4927">Re: Paigejessica, North Dakota?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Paigejessica, North Dakota?!? : Thanks! It was intimidating until they got me working to round up calves. Then I felt like I was like everyone else and at home lol. This may sound funny but cowboy/farmer work with your hands sunrise to sunset type white people were SO much more comfortable to be around than WASP type upper class white people. 
    Posted by paigejessica[/QUOTE]

I can see that because I think there's a significant difference between "rednecks" and the type you're talking about. I'm not a big fan of rural but it sounds like it was a great time!

Are you still based in ND?
    Vacation White Knot
  • Options
    Oh no, we're based in Los Angeles :) All our families are in other states.
  • Options
    Paige, North Dakota to Los Angeles is probably one of the biggest transitions I can think of.  Was it an easy transition for your FI?
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interracial-weddings_paigejessica-north-dakota?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:c9069c39-6e1f-4397-9e66-aeb7ed51fccbDiscussion:e8270a3d-c68c-4d4a-ab9a-4aab6150cc23Post:dbdb8768-526e-4c95-996b-52b8a099fb07">Re: Paigejessica, North Dakota?!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Paige, North Dakota to Los Angeles is probably one of the biggest transitions I can think of.  Was it an easy transition for your FI?
    Posted by littleluckypenny[/QUOTE]

<div>Not at all lol. He complains that he smells sewage all the time. I thought he was crazy but when I went to ND and came back to LA I smelled sewage everywhere for the first few days I was home. Sometimes he really misses having land. We rent a house with a big backyard for the city (i.e tiny compared to other places) but he wants acres. We both agree that living out in ND is out of the question. FI can't stand the kind of people out there on a daily basis (they're not bad, just a portion of his family is reaaaaally ignorant and country), the cold weather in winter, and no 24 hour convenience like we have here. </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards