Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

name change... where to start?

so just how do i go about this process?  im still waiting for the marriage liense to b sent back to me... but how many copies will i need etcany advice is appreciated

Re: name change... where to start?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I only ordered one certified copy, and that is all I think you need (any places that need it will give it back to you). I know to change the name on your passport it is free if you've had it a year or less, and $75 if you've had it longer. SS was pretty easy- I had a new card within 2 weeks. I'd put that at the top of the name change list. I'm no help w/ PA driver's license...but remember to change it on insurance, bank accts, etc. It can def. be overwhelming!
  • Options
    sharonc0456sharonc0456 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ordered at great kit off the internet. Just google  name change kits and a bunch will come up. Mine came in 4 days. Also, you can change your name on your driver's license on the internet. At least I think so..  ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I only requested one copy of the double seal license, and it was all I needed. However, for your passport, and anything international, you will need the triple seal. I did the SS one day, and then did the bank and driver's license stuff after that. I do think you need to change your name in person, and for 10 bucks, you just get a new license instead of an updated info card. This was helpful when I changed my name! http://www.alleghenycounty.us/wo/rec.aspx

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • Options
    New_to_PGHNew_to_PGH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got 1 triple seal copy. I started at the SS office, then went to the DMV (same day - didn't wait for a new soc security card or anything). Once I had the new SS card, I changed my name at work. My credit cards only took a phone call.I waited a whole 2 years to bother to send my passport and marriage license in for a renewal (it had expired anyway)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Like others said, I started with the social security office. I then went to the DMV, changed my name on my bank accounts, then credit cards. I just took the marriage license that the county sent to me that was signed by my priest the day of the wedding. That worked for everything. I still have a few things to change, but once you change your name with SS and the DMV, you should be able to change everything else easily!
  • Options
    pinksonyapinksonya member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gah, I need to start doing this...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards