Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Modern vs. Traditional Invitation Wording

Hello Knotties,

My fiance and I are in the process of negotiating the wording in our invitation so that  it is modern yet does not offend my family and their more traditional customs.  I thought I'd see if any other Knotties exerienced any challenges in deciding on the wording of the invitation.

For example, originally fiance did not want our parents names listed at all (even though my parents are contributing quite a bit and his parents are doing the RD and HM).  He thought that as a modern, progressive couple it is silly to include our parents. I felt that my parents (and his potentially) might feel hurt if excluded.  We since compromised to say something like the following:

Judy and John Smith (not Mr. and Mrs. which we both agree is too traditional)
request the honour of your presence
at the marriage of their daughter
Sally Elizabeth Smith  (I compromised by adding my last name so it doesn't appear that parents are 'giving me away' to the groom.)
to
Richard Alan Jones
son of Mary and Edward Jones

(Note: We will correctly space and edit the real invitation and include time/date/place)

Did anyone else find it challenging to create a modern invitation yet also remain sensitive to family traditions or norms? If so, what was your approach?

Thanks,
KM
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards