Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

website

Is it appropriate to put wedding website address on invitation?

It is on our std

Re: website

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_website-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:3fc921fb-2a1a-4a82-8ec9-ca2dd8f860dcPost:9a4c1fc0-6b85-4b57-99a6-edc21c591628">Re: website</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it depends on whether or not your site has any gift registry information or hyperlinks.  If not, then I don't see a problem with including it with "For more information, visit our website at <a href="http://www.website.com."> If there is registry information on there, simply putting the URL on an invitation or an insert could have the appearance of gift-grabbiness, because guests haven't asked for that information, yet they're being directed to a site that says, "We expect gifts." So, I'd make sure that the registry information, if any, is not directly accessible unless the site user takes a specific action to indicate that they want it.  Put a password on it that anyone seeking this information would have to E-mail you for, and put an E-mail link to it with the caption, "For more information contact us at E-mail address" with it without mentioning a registry.  If necessary, change the name of the specific page of your site that contains the link so that it doesn't reference registries.  Then, if anyone E-mails you through that link, you can respond with the password.
    Posted by Jen4948[/QUOTE]

Ummm...what?

There's no need to leave off registry information on a wedding website. Password-protecting <em>just</em> the registry information is pointless.

So long as the OP doesn't say: "To find out what to buy us for our wedding, please visit www. welikegifts.ourwedding. com", she's fine simply including the website link.</a>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_website-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:3fc921fb-2a1a-4a82-8ec9-ca2dd8f860dcPost:cd3ff386-8d8b-46e5-a500-399a5a1949b3">Re: website</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: website : Ummm...what? There's no need to leave off registry information on a wedding website. Password-protecting just the registry information is pointless. So long as the OP doesn't say: "To find out what to buy us for our wedding, please visit www. welikegifts.ourwedding. com", she's fine simply including the website link.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  If it's not polite to put registry information in any form in an invitation, it's just as wrong to direct people to a website containing it when they didn't ask for it.  Gift information can only be politely given out, directly or indirectly, to someone who has specifically requested it.  So if you're going to put website information in an invitation in any form, the registry information needs to be concealed. 

Otherwise, yes, you're saying to guests, "Here's our registry information," and that's just as gift-grabby as putting a registry card in an invitation that's not a shower invitation, even when it comes with all the other information on the website, because one doesn't need to have a website to convey that information-one can do it through inserts.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_website-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:3fc921fb-2a1a-4a82-8ec9-ca2dd8f860dcPost:e2ccce8d-1e68-44e9-855c-5258bea9a36d">Re: website</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: website : I disagree.  If it's not polite to put registry information in any form in an invitation, it's just as wrong to direct people to a website containing it when they didn't ask for it.  Gift information can only be politely given out, directly or indirectly, to someone who has specifically requested it.  So if you're going to put website information in an invitation in any form, the registry information needs to be concealed.  Otherwise, yes, you're saying to guests, "Here's our registry information," and that's just as gift-grabby as putting a registry card in an invitation that's not a shower invitation, even when it comes with all the other information on the website, because one doesn't need to have a website to convey that information-one can do it through inserts.
    Posted by Jen4948[/QUOTE]

I've never heard of that before. I'd be curious to see if anyone else has an opinion. It was my understanding, since this is no longer the dark ages, that a tab with registry information on a wedding website is more than appropriate.
  • Options
    More opinions please
  • Options
    kks4471kks4471 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    edited November 2012
    It's perfectly fine to have registry info on your website. You aren't forcing the guest to click on the "Registry" tab or link. You're just providing a general link for all wedding information. OP, I like to see the website link on a separate card. If your wedding is casual, I suppose you could put the link on the actual invitation.
    Photobucket Anniversary
  • Options
    I don't think it's inappropriate at all to have your gift registry on your wedding website. As long as you're directing to a website that has all relevant wedding information/ not just a gift registry, it's fine IMO.

We included our wedding website URL on the STD's and at the bottom of our reception card. It says "For directions to the church and reception, please visit our wedding website: url"

Our website has a lot of information on it, including the gift registry. We've had people thank us for providing all the info there instead of asking a million questions, so I think it's fine. And trust me, my friends and family would be the first ones to tell me if there was an etiquette problem with the way we did it.
    image 312 Invited
    image 182 Are ready to party!
    image 127 Will be missing out!
    image 3 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_website-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:3fc921fb-2a1a-4a82-8ec9-ca2dd8f860dcPost:9a4c1fc0-6b85-4b57-99a6-edc21c591628">Re: website</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it depends on whether or not your site has any gift registry information or hyperlinks.  If not, then I don't see a problem with including it with "For more information, visit our website at <a href="http://www.website.com."> If there is registry information on there, simply putting the URL on an invitation or an insert could have the appearance of gift-grabbiness, because guests haven't asked for that information, yet they're being directed to a site that says, "We expect gifts." So, I'd make sure that the registry information, if any, is not directly accessible unless the site user takes a specific action to indicate that they want it.  Put a password on it that anyone seeking this information would have to E-mail you for, and put an E-mail link to it with the caption, "For more information contact us at E-mail address" with it without mentioning a registry.  If necessary, change the name of the specific page of your site that contains the link so that it doesn't reference registries.  Then, if anyone E-mails you through that link, you can respond with the password.
    Posted by Jen4948[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>On our wedding website, we had lots of other information other than our registries. We information about the hotel block, the shuttle, schedule of the day, things to do in the area, story about the proposal, background information about us, and bridal party intro. The very last tab at the bottom included our registry information. It was very far from saying, "Hey give us gifts!" when we directed people to website for more information about the wedding. Including a link to your wedding website on an additional card that is included with the wedding invitation is perfectly fine.</div></a>
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

i wouldn't print it directly on the invitation, but not for registry reasons, just because I think it belongs on a separate insert.  we did a business card that just said "for directions, accomodations and additional information, please visit website.com"

it's totally normal and fine to have registry information on the website.  password protecting it is bizarre and unnecessary.  you're not forcing anyone to go to the website, or click on the registry tab once there. 

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_website-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:3fc921fb-2a1a-4a82-8ec9-ca2dd8f860dcPost:1be8e794-198e-492e-b67b-47e684d8f5a8">Re: website</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: website : On our wedding website, we had lots of other information other than our registries. We information about the hotel block, the shuttle, schedule of the day, things to do in the area, story about the proposal, background information about us, and bridal party intro. The very last tab at the bottom included our registry information. It was very far from saying, "Hey give us gifts!" when we directed people to website for more information about the wedding. Including a link to your wedding website on an additional card that is included with the wedding invitation is perfectly fine.
    Posted by B2Z728[/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm fine with including all the other information on a website and putting the URL on an insert-I just have some reservations about the registry.  Even though nobody has to click on the registry, you're still offering that information without being asked for it, and that <em>could</em> come across as gift-grabby.  This is me, but I'd prefer to offer the registry information separately, after I'm asked for it.
  • Options
    I don't see a problem with it, unless you're specifically saying "For more information on hotel accomodations, directions and REGISTRY INFORMATION...visit our website www....&quot;. If it's not directly mentioned, I don't see the problem. I'd rather find it on a website than having to call parents and ask, but that's my preference.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Honestly, I prefer as a guest to have the website information on the invitation, and it's even better if the registry is linked somewhere on that site. I have never seen that as greedy; in fact, I see it as helpful so that I'm not trying to hunt down where they're registered.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_website-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:3fc921fb-2a1a-4a82-8ec9-ca2dd8f860dcPost:1be8e794-198e-492e-b67b-47e684d8f5a8">Re: website</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: website : On our wedding website, we had lots of other information other than our registries. We information about the hotel block, the shuttle, schedule of the day, things to do in the area, story about the proposal, background information about us, and bridal party intro. The very last tab at the bottom included our registry information. It was very far from saying, "Hey give us gifts!" when we directed people to website for more information about the wedding. Including a link to your wedding website on an additional card that is included with the wedding invitation is perfectly fine.
    Posted by B2Z728[/QUOTE]

<div>THIS

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards