Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Electronic invitations - need your opinion!

I am having invitation anxiety, help!  We have our destination wedding on May 19.  That's only 3.5 months away and many people are coming from outside of the US. 

First of all, is it too late to order and mail out paper invitations, especially internationally?

Second, has anyone used electronic invitations, and if so, have any recommendations on sites?  Glosite and Paperless Post seem like a decent options, but I'd like to hear your advice.

Is it tacky to send out electronic invitations?  I feel like it may lose some of the formality and elegance of a mailed invitation, but I'm worried I won't have time for mailing them internationally and getting a response back in time.  Also, electronic invites will same me hundreds of dollars.

Would love to get your advice, feedback and experiences!

Thanks in advance. 

Re: Electronic invitations - need your opinion!

• Options
    No, it is not too late to order invitations and have them sent. 

I am not a fan of electronic invitations. I am old school about certain things, and wedding invitations is one of them. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Paper invitations are the best way to go, especially if your wedding has any formality to it.

People tend not to take electronic invitations as seriously as paper ones, and if you have elderly and/or tech-phobic people among your guests, you may need to send them paper invitations anyway.
  • Options
    Yeah, speaking from personal experience, evites don't always get read by everyone (I dislike them, many people 50+ I know don't open them at all)

Also, invites set the formality of the wedding. Evite=backyard bbq sort of wedding to me. Something people would wear jeans to, or at least wouldn't wear suit jackets. If that's what your ceremony is, ok, but if you're having a black tie sort of thing, totally not the way to go.

You can get invites pretty quickly, honestly, and it doesn't take too long for international mail (I sent the invites to our people overseas first just because I was worried about that very thing, we got the RSVP card back from FI's friend in London within a week or so). 
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_electronic-invitations-need-your-opinion-and-recommendations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:40671f99-84e3-4aea-8211-96db1cef5623Post:9b627514-0b6f-4135-960e-bc3c1521ea0e">Electronic invitations - need your opinion!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having invitation anxiety, help!  We have our destination wedding on May 19.  That's only 3.5 months away and many people are coming from outside of the US.  First of all, is it too late to order and mail out paper invitations, especially internationally? Second, has anyone used electronic invitations, and if so, have any recommendations on sites?  Glosite and Paperless Post seem like a decent options, but I'd like to hear your advice. Is it tacky to send out electronic invitations?  I feel like it may lose some of the formality and elegance of a mailed invitation, but I'm worried I won't have time for mailing them internationally and getting a response back in time.  Also, electronic invites will same me hundreds of dollars. Would love to get your advice, feedback and experiences! Thanks in advance. 
    Posted by annajan519[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Order the invitations now and you'll be fine.  Don't send out evites for one of the most important events of your life.

</div>
  • Options
    Another vote for skipping electronic invites. They are very informal and gives an indication of a very casual event. You can order invites from vistaprint today and probably have them in less than a week.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I would do a combo of both, depending on the person receiving the invite, and maybe send out a cute little note to those who may need a reminder to check their spam folder incase it got filtered out
     "hey how are you? We got a new pet bird and she tweets all night but she is fun. I didn't watch the SuperBowl because I think football sucks, so instead I made enough breakfast muffins to feed the neighborhood for 6 weeks. How are you? Do you totally love your new crockpot your aunt sent you?
    I hope you received the e-invite we sent to your email, we hope you can help us celebrate our marriage. We would love to see you and Uncle Gary there! Let me know if you need any more details!"

Or something like that.
  • Options
    Sounds like it's pretty unanimous, and your comments make sense.  Okay, I'm persuaded, real invitations it is!  

Is it okay to have them RSVP electronically or is that semi-tacky/informal?  I can't bear the thought of waiting for people mail stuff in.  Isn't it easier for them to go online than to put something in the mail?  Plus, it will get them on our website. 

Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards