Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Invites and Postage Concerns

I'm still 7 months out from my wedding date but I want to start looking at invites. I'm going to need at least 175 and I'm worried about the extra postage that some invites require (for extra pockets, or cards inside that make them heavier?) and I've also heard that some sizes (like the oblong tealength) require more postage as well. Has anyone encountered this? Which "style" is the best to choose to try to avoid extra postage? I want to make an educated choice so I won't go way above budget for postage to mail these things.

Re: Invites and Postage Concerns

• Options
    175 invitations sounds like a lot, unless you're inviting over 300 people.  Remember that couples and multi-member families will get one.    We invited 123 people and only sent out about 55 invitations.

Also, you can go on USPS.com and calculate postage.   http://postcalc.usps.gov/
    Just enter the weight (most invitations are about an once, but if you have thick paper or lots of enclosures, it might be more like 2 ounces), then select a size/shape of envelope.    I would imagine that you can call invitation companies to find out how much one invitations (with the enclosures you've selected) will weigh.   I had a 5x7 card, outer envelope, response card, and response envelope, and it weighed a little less than one ounce.   
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Be careful if you get a "Square" invite/envelope...although it appears square there is an exact dimension at the post office for what they classify to be be "Square" so if your envelope is 1/8 of an inch over like mine the post office calls it an oversized business envelope which will run an addtional 30 cents..thought my cards would be 85 cents...post office said $1.10...I put the forever white rose stamp next to my pretty 85 cent stamp and had to over pay to may it look nice.
  • Options
    Yes, I am inviting over 300 people. I have several families coming from across the state line to our wedding so I needed to add a small map (the wedding and reception are in two different locations, only 2 miles apart.) I like the square or tealength but I'm going to check the usps website (Great Idea! Thanks!) and see what the deminisions/weight will be under the limit...

• Options
    Im sticking to regular 5X7 panel invite card w/ rsvp card and possibily 1 insert card and the stationary person said they were 90% sure it would stay under the 1 stamp 45 cents.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My square ones are 65 cents.
  • Options
    Our invitation was about 5x7 with a bow wrapped around it.  Response card and envelope around 3x4 with tissue paper and small business card for website inforamtion.  I doubled check with the post office a few times.  I only needed 2 stamps(1 for outside and 1 for response card).  I got the Forever Wedding ones, white roses for .44
    hope this helps! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards