Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Sending glassine envelopes in the mail?

Does anyone have any experience with how well glassine envelopes go through the mail? My save the date's are going to be postcards with small coin envelopes attached to them with a string of numbers that make our wedding date inside. The problem is, I can only find regular paper envelopes in quantites of 500 for $30 or more, and I only need 75 of them or so. I can find glassine envelopes for $6 in a much more reasonable quantity, but I am afraid it would tear open and spill out my numbers. Thoughts??

Re: Sending glassine envelopes in the mail?

• Options
    You're sending postcards, with a tiny envelope attached? with string?

Won't the envelope be pulled off in the mail?

I know that the machines can work with glossy paper. Mail is routed with a bar code printed on it. On glossy paper, they use a different ink, or they put a sticker with the bar code on the piece of mail (sometimes obscuring the pretty picture or text on the postcard). But the bar code still gets on there, and the mail still gets to its destination.

But, please, don't send physically 2-part STDs. Put the postcard and the tiny envelope in a bigger envelope.
  • Options
    Try going to a speciality stationary store. They should sell them in boxes of 50 or 100.  I don't think the glassine envelopes would travel well through postage machines.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_sending-glassine-envelopes-in-the-mail?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:5733ad36-8ebd-40d7-8934-7728d88406acPost:79a3b226-35eb-44d4-a2ea-e00aa54db2a6">Sending glassine envelopes in the mail?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone have any experience with how well glassine envelopes go through the mail? My save the date's are going to be postcards with small coin envelopes attached to them with a string of numbers that make our wedding date inside. The problem is, I can only find regular paper envelopes in quantites of 500 for $30 or more, and I only need 75 of them or so. I can find glassine envelopes for $6 in a much more reasonable quantity, but I am afraid it would tear open and spill out my numbers. Thoughts??
    Posted by WalkersFurMama[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Is it even legal to mail glassine envelopes as the outside envelope?</div><div>
    </div><div>That being said, whatever you send is going to take a beating going through the mail.  I'd err on the side of caution and put everything in a regular envelope.</div>
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards