Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

How to let people know I'm getting married..

I want a tiny wedding, but I have a huge extended family. I want people to  know I'm getting married but I don't want to invite everyone. Is there a way to do that without being tacky? 

Re: How to let people know I'm getting married..

• Options
    I wouldn't even do what PP proposed since you shouldn't really tell people that you're planning something to which they won't be invited.

However you CAN send announcements once you are indeed married to let people know that you did tie the knot.
  • Options
    You can mail announcements the day of the wedding, and not a minute sooner.  No further notice should go out prior to that.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    Understood.  One does not properly send an engagment announcement.

One CAN properly send a wedding announcement once he or she is actually married.

The only other way that one can notify others of an engagement aside from word of mouth is to put an announcement in the newspaper.
  • Options
    1.  You can't send engagement announcements.
    2.  You can't send any other kind of "I'm getting married" letter before the wedding.
    3.  You could send wedding announcements the day of the wedding or sometime in the week after the wedding, but people always read those as demands for a nice gift without even getting a piece of cake, much less being "close enough" and "good enough" to actually witness the wedding.

Here's what we did:  We had a tiny wedding in the summer - like you have planned, and then we sent our Christmas cards on Thanksgiving weekend.  We included our new address and we put as the TOP highlight of the year that we had gotten married over the summer.  That way it really doesn't look like a demand for a gift.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards