Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Divorced parents but same last name

I'm trying to figure out the wording of our invitations and was wondering how to list my FH's parents who are divorced but still have the same last name? I want to put:

Mr. and Mrs. (my parents)
request the honour of your presence
at the marriage of their daughter
ME
&
FH
son of __________

I know that I can't put "Mr. and Mrs." for his parents' names because that would denote they're still married, so do I just put "Mr. ____" and put "Mrs. ____" on the line below? Thanks!

Re: Divorced parents but same last name

• Options
    So your parents are hosting? Therefore, FI's parents should not be on the invitation.

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
    request the honour of your presence
    at the marriage of their daughter
    Ashlee Sue
    to
    Mr. FIFirst FILast
  • Options
    Yes, you'd list their names on separate lines. But I think the lady's name always comes first in this case and I'd also use Ms, not Mrs.. could be wrong though.

Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_divorced-parents-but-same-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6aa8b3a7-eb0d-4c3c-8823-a8f31b785b91Post:2ff3f857-3084-429d-8a50-9cc95c419e98">Re: Divorced parents but same last name</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, you'd list their names on separate lines. But I think the lady's name always comes first in this case and I'd also use Ms, not Mrs.. could be wrong though.
    Posted by brita722[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily true as far as I know. It would likely be:

<em>Son of Ms. Jane Doe and Mr. John Doe
    </em>
    That would only work if neither parent is remarried, since it would be pretty rude to not include their new spouses.

I would think the OP should just leave off FI's parent's names if they are not hosting.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_divorced-parents-but-same-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6aa8b3a7-eb0d-4c3c-8823-a8f31b785b91Post:a2079261-05a7-4844-b811-add371d5311f">Re: Divorced parents but same last name</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Divorced parents but same last name : Not necessarily true as far as I know. It would likely be: Son of <strong>Ms. Jane Doe and Mr. John Doe</strong> That would only work if neither parent is remarried, since it would be pretty rude to not include their new spouses. I would think the OP should just leave off FI's parent's names if they are not hosting.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

<div>No. This is incorrect. </div><div>
    </div><div>By listing their names on the same line and joining them with the word "and" you are indicating that they are a married couple. </div><div>
    </div><div>OP says they are divorced so they must be listed on separate lines, even if they have the same name. </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, this is only if OP insists on listing the Groom's parents on the invitation... because as previous poster has mentioned, the Groom's parents are not traditionally named on the invitation. Unless they are hosting or co-hosting, which would move their names to the top of the wording (in the host line) and underneath the Bride's parents names.</div>

Anniversary
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2013
    I'm not going to argue with you Brita. While "and" usually will indicate marriage, I don't think you're right in this particular "Son of..." situation.

So we'll let one of the invitation experts settle the debate, if there really even needs to be one since the grooms parent's shouldn't be on the invite in the first place, it appears.
  • Options
    There's a lot of conflicting information etiquette-wise if you Google "Son of Divorced parents on Wedding invitations"

I'm seeing Son of Ms. Jane Doe and Mr. John Doe more often than not.

Together with their parents. Final Answer. Tongue out
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_divorced-parents-but-same-last-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6aa8b3a7-eb0d-4c3c-8823-a8f31b785b91Post:2ff3f857-3084-429d-8a50-9cc95c419e98">Re: Divorced parents but same last name</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, you'd list their names on separate lines. But I think the lady's name always comes first in this case and I'd also use Ms, not Mrs.. could be wrong though.
    Posted by brita722[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, my mistake. I accidentally put 'Mrs.' when it should be 'Ms.' ^_^
  • Options
    In regards to the hosting, my parents are the ones hosting but FH would like to have his parents listed on the invite for the sake of having them on there. (I agree with the traditional etiquette of only putting the host parents on there, but if it's important to him, I don't want to stress about it.)
  • Options
    ashleestadtashleestadt member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2013
    Thanks, everyone! I discussed it with my fiance and my parents. All of us feel as though it's important to include both sets of parents because it gives off a more unified feeling (it's a wedding after all), regardless of who's paying/hosting/helping to plan/etc. Plus, I don't want my future in-laws to feel hurt or excluded just because they live far away and can't afford to contribute much (financially).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards