Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Ceremony in different time zone??

I'm curious how the wording on our invitations is supposed to read when our ceremony and reception are in different time zones, and most of FI's family is from the other time zone.

Here's what I mean: FI and I (and all my family) live in the Eastern Time Zone.
The ceremony (and most of FI's family) are from the next town over, which happens to be in Central Time Zone. The reception is in our town (Eastern Time Zone).

My big question is, do I mark a little asterisk at the bottom of the invites, and put "All times are Eastern Standard Time," or do I include it right after the time, as in "reception at six o'clock in the evening, EST" ??? Or do I not put it at all and just spread it by word of mouth..?

please help, I can't find anyone else with this issue!
thanks!

Re: Ceremony in different time zone??

• Options
    I would probably actually put that on the invite.  But please do not abbreviate.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Just FYI, if you wedding is in the summer, you will be in Eastern Daylight Time and Central Daylight Time. If you put Eastern Standard Time on your invitations, your guests might be REALLY confused.

And if the reception is right after the ceremony, I think you could get away with, "Reception immediately following at..." rather than writing out a time.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_ceremony-different-time-zone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6fe80b21-9090-4e03-8efe-9a80cc7d2e81Post:4b840685-2394-463d-8b81-ae89739dd8f4">Re: Ceremony in different time zone??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ceremony in different time zone?? : This. Do it airport style - where the takeoff or landing time is always in the time of the city you're going to... so the ceremony site's timezone. What a unique issue!  Good luck!
    Posted by cukimerrydoll[/QUOTE]

It's been a couple months since I've flown anywhere, but I'm pretty sure that flights are always listed in local times.  So your take off (ceremony) time would be local to that site and your landing (reception) time would be local to that site. 
  • Options
    We had a similar problem. Wedding and my family in CST, FI's family in EST. I'm doing the airport thing .... since the location of the wedding and reception are in CST, then that's the time on the invitation.
    *Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is disagreeing here.  The connundrum the OP has is that the ceremony and reception are in different locations, and the timezone divider is between them.  So, the Ceremony might be at 5:30 in eastern time, and the reception following it at 5:00 Central time.  People who are local will understand, but people who are traveling in will be suprised.  I would use the timezone where most of the guests will be staying, and I would highlight it on the invitation, at the bottom.

AND I'd let the hotel know about it and ask them to remind people.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_ceremony-different-time-zone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6fe80b21-9090-4e03-8efe-9a80cc7d2e81Post:2197bff8-a069-44f5-be66-588fd9f8460d">Re: Ceremony in different time zone??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am pretty sure if I was going to a wedding I would consider the time change once I got off the flight. I think its pretty clear that the time zone your state is in, is the time zone people will show up for the wedding at. I wouldnt think to clearify it on the invite at all.
    Posted by CBELANG3[/QUOTE]

I think you are missing the point.  The ceremony is in one time zone and the reception is in another even though they are just a town apart (line has to be somewhere right?)

I'm not sure what I would do.  I think I would notate on the bottom that all times are in "X" time zone based on the ceremony.  Especially if the reception is directly following the ceremony.

I'm sure people in the 2  towns are use having to convert times based on where things are located.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_ceremony-different-time-zone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6fe80b21-9090-4e03-8efe-9a80cc7d2e81Post:2197bff8-a069-44f5-be66-588fd9f8460d">Re: Ceremony in different time zone??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am pretty sure if I was going to a wedding I would consider the time change once I got off the flight. I think its pretty clear that the time zone your state is in, is the time zone people will show up for the wedding at. I wouldnt think to clearify it on the invite at all.
    Posted by CBELANG3[/QUOTE]

FYI - my home state, Kentucky, is in TWO time zones.  Eastern and Central.  It is COMPLETELY possible that you could fly into Louisville (Eastern) for a wedding in Leitchfield (Central), and a reception in Elizabethtown (Eastern).  Assuming that a fair number of guests live in Leitchfield, putting eastern time on the invitation and not telling them it's that way would be a very bad plan.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• Options
    This is a really sticky one.  I think a little note at the bottom saying, "All times are noted in Eastern Standard Time" is the least complicated way to go.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Thanks guys... I think the note at the bottom of "all times in Eastern..." will suffice.

True, since we do all live here we are used to converting times -- however, my FI's family in the Central time zone are older, and really they don't travel to our town too often so that's why I think they'll be the ones most affected. But we'll make sure to notify them in person as well.

To make things even more complicated, FI's parents and friends live in southwest Michigan, which is on Eastern time but still just north of LaPorte (Central Time -- and where the ceremony is). Thankfully they're used to running on different times though... It is quite the strange issue we're running into :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards