Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Real starfish in invitation?

I am thinking of doing this.  I have made a mockup of my invitation, here is the photo:

Has anyone done this?  I LOVE the look...but I am worried that the starfish will break in the mail.  It's a real starfish that I painted white.  Does anyone know of something I could paint on to the starfish to make them stronger?  Or does anyone know of an alternative to a real starfish that looks nice but isn't too expensive?

Re: Real starfish in invitation?

• Options
    I think most of them will get broken in the mail. It's cute, but I don't think it's very practical. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    What if you got thick cardstock and cut out starfish shapes?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    My DIY invitations also have a starfish on them. I stamped and embossed a starfish on the front. Very inexpensive and it looks really nice since I used a silver metallic embossing powder.
  • Options
    Please don't use real starfish-there are so many better alternatives that will get you a similar look (Ashley had a good suggestion of embossing it).  Starfish are living creatures, and getting a dead starfish in the mail is really gross (and kind of sad that you're using them just for props).
  • Options
    they will break in the mail.

I used them for my table card holders

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Have you tried finding wooden cutouts of starfish?  I think there are lots of alternatives to use rather than actual starfish.
  • Options
    In Response to Re:Real starfish in invitation?:[QUOTE]Please don't use real starfishthere are so many better alternatives that will get you a similar look Ashley had a good suggestion of embossing it. nbsp;Starfish are living creatures, and getting a dead starfish in the mail is really gross and kind of sad that you're using them just for props. Posted by freebread03[/QUOTE]

This. I would be horrified.
  • Options
    I think it's an adorable idea, but probably too fragile. Maybe you could do a little stalk of sea oat instead? Or, if you definitely want starfish, I like the stamping/embossing idea.
  • Options
    Repulsed?  Horrified?  Aren't these words a little strong?  Using real starfish in crafts is very common:

http://www.qualityshells.com/white-finger-starfish.html

Some people on here are awfully opinionated!
  • Options
    And it's not like I'd be getting from the ocean myself and throwing them in the envelope dirty.  THAT would be kinda gross...and stinky.

Anyways, I think my sister convinced me to do a paper cutout if I have the time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards