Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Wording help

I have searched this board but I can't find anything related to my situation. My parents are divorced, my mom remarried when I was young and then divorced again when I was in college, and my dad is remarried. Both of my parents along with both stepparents are paying for the wedding. How do I word this on the invitation? I was thinking something like this:
Mrs and Mrs. Dad and stempmom's last name
along with
Mr. Stepdad's last name and Mrs. mom's last name
request the honor of your presense...

Would this be right?

Re: Wording help

• Options
    I think the easiest option is to say "Together with their parents."

If you would like to list them all though I believe it would be:

Mr. and Mrs. DadFirst Last
    along with 
    Mrs. MomFirst Last and Mr. StepdadFirst Last
    request the honor of your presence, etc...
    Anniversary
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_wording-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:7b156725-875c-49ba-b41a-46bb95da4888Post:f611132e-dce9-4faf-bfc0-2d40e4eb635d">Re: Wording help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the easiest option is to say "Together with their parents." If you would like to list them all though I believe it would be: Mr. and Mrs. DadFirst Last along with  Mrs. MomFirst Last and Mr. StepdadFirst Last request the honor of your presence, etc...
    Posted by shortee426[/QUOTE]

Agreed on the "together with their parents"

Otherwise-Doesn't the female go first? and if the mom and stepdad aren't married, they should be on separate lines without "and" joining.

Something like:

Ms. MomFirst Lastname
    Mr. and Mrs. Dadfirst Last name
    along with
    Mr. Stepdadfirst Lastname
    request....

Also, if your ceremony isn't in a house of worship, the correct wording is "request the pleasure of your company" (if it is in a church,etc, use shortee's invite line)
  • Options
    shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_wording-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:7b156725-875c-49ba-b41a-46bb95da4888Post:78fbe80e-b991-426b-91e2-19d7ac2927ee">Re: Wording help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wording help : Agreed on the "together with their parents" Otherwise-Doesn't the female go first? and if the mom and stepdad aren't married, they should be on separate lines without "and" joining. Something like: Ms. MomFirst Lastname Mr. and Mrs. Dadfirst Last name along with Mr. Stepdadfirst Lastname request.... Also, if your ceremony isn't in a house of worship, the correct wording is "request the pleasure of your company" (if it is in a church,etc, use shortee's invite line)
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

<div>I get you're saying, but shouldn't her mother be listed with her stepdad, even if they are not married?  The way you listed puts them as : Mom, Dad/Stepmom, Stepdad.  </div><div>
    </div><div>So wouldn't it be:</div><div>Mr. and Mrs. Dadfirst Last name </div><div>along with </div><div>Ms. MomFirst Lastname </div><div>Mr. Stepdadfirst Lastname</div><div> request</div><div>
    </div><div>EDIT: I missed the part originally about the mother being divorced from the stepfather.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_wording-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:7b156725-875c-49ba-b41a-46bb95da4888Post:978ea78a-695f-4202-a819-5970b17e94ee">Re: Wording help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wording help : I get you're saying, but shouldn't her mother be listed with her stepdad, even if they are not married?  The way you listed puts them as : Mom, Dad/Stepmom, Stepdad.   So wouldn't it be: Mr. and Mrs. Dadfirst Last name  along with  Ms. MomFirst Lastname  Mr. Stepdadfirst Lastname  request EDIT: I missed the part originally about the mother being divorced from the stepfather.
    Posted by shortee426[/QUOTE]
    I'm not entirely sure, but your point does make sense.  However, I can justify both ways and I'm not sure which is proper.

Listing the way I posted previously also kind of inidicates that stepfather is not biological parent (at least how I view), which also makes sense.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_wording-30?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:7b156725-875c-49ba-b41a-46bb95da4888Post:cad89883-d732-47a2-ac77-9ccc955a327a">Re: Wording help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wording help : I'm not entirely sure, but your point does make sense.  However, I can justify both ways and I'm not sure which is proper. Listing the way I posted previously also kind of inidicates that stepfather is not biological parent (at least how I view), which also makes sense.
    Posted by hz80408[/QUOTE]

<div>Perhaps OP should stick with "Together with their parents" </div><div>
    </div><div>:-p</div>
    Anniversary
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    Haha, agreed!  Unless Kristin or someone can verify!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I think we will go with "together with our families" or something similar.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards