Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Inviting estranged relatives

I'm not very close to my dad's side of the family - I haven't seen any of my first cousins on that side since I was about 9 or even younger.  They're all much older than me so I went to one of their weddings when I was little, but we either didn't get invited or just didn't go to my other cousin's weddings.  Should I still invite them to my wedding?  I don't want to be rude.

Re: Inviting estranged relatives

• Options
    Do you want them to attend?  You're not obligated to invite them because you share grandparents or great-grandparents.  Given that you've not sean them in years, I doubt they'll be bothered.  If they are - when would you see them to worry about it?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I have many cousins my age but I'm not close to them at all. But since my dad still is and I have been invited (by proxy through my dad) to their weddings, I did extend invitations.

HOWEVER I broke lots of etiquette rules for invitations. For the families, I invited "Uncle, Aunt, and Family." YES, each person over 18 should have received an invite but I'm 98% sure they won't come, I don't know the names of all the significant others and children, let alone addresses. I did make sure to tell my dad that everyone is invited on the family's invitation. My family is extremely casual and many wedding invites are verbal, no one will be offended.

As squirrly said, it's your wedding. Invite them if you want, but if you don't talk to them/see them, don't feel like you have to. Part of it is knowing your family. FI's family probably would've been offended our breach of etiquette, but my family won't care (or know the etiquette rule that was broken!).
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards