Wedding Invitations & Paper

Heavy hour devours, not dinner, not just appetizers..?

I am having a HEAVY hour devours reception. I mean HEAVY. Pasta bar, carving station, ceasar salad, cheese/crakers/veggies, passed hour devours, etc.
I do not want to put "cocktail reception" as people will feel they need to have dinner beforehand and I want my guests to know that they will have plenty to eat at my wedding. However, I also do not want to put "dinner" as it is not a sit-down; we will be having a majority of the tables set up be high-tops.

Any suggestsions on what to put on the invitations? So far, I just have "hour devour reception to follow." Very general. I want to be a little more forward but I think "heavy hour devours" sounds tacky. Thank you so much for ANY thoughts/feedback!

Re: Heavy hour devours, not dinner, not just appetizers..?

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2013
    You can't dictate when guests eat their meals if you're not serving a meal.

What time is your ceremony/reception?

The only proper wording is: "Cocktail and hors d'oeuvres reception immediately following the ceremony"

You aren't serving a meal, so you can't dictate that guests treat it as such.

It sounds delicious, but you can't make it what it's not.

ETA: by "High tops" do you mean the tables won't have chairs?!? You need to make every effort to have a seat for every guest.
  • Just put "reception to follow."  If it's at a meal time, people will assume there is enough food for a meal.
  • I think "cocktail reception" sounds better than "hors d'oeurvres reception".  I think most people will know what that means and plan appropriately.  

And ditto what PP said.  I went to a cocktail reception very similar to yours and there were a few regular tables and then a bunch of high-tops without chairs.  All of the older people immediately plopped themselves at the tables and we were stuck standing all night.  I know the bride wanted everyone to mingle and move around but honestly it was just annoying.  I would not suggest this.  Make sure you have enough seats for everyone.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_heavy-hour-devours-not-dinner-not-just-appetizers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:88a1e3ad-b8a7-4cd9-9857-572fffdd0e6fPost:da086e7c-1b3b-4f02-a7dd-4cb2ac133e4e">Re: Heavy hour devours, not dinner, not just appetizers..?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just put "reception to follow."  If it's at a meal time, people will assume there is enough food for a meal.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree with this. Also, I agree to make sure to have seats for everyone. I am not much of a mingler and I don't dance, so I would be pretty annoyed if I had to just stand around for the whole reception. </div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We are doing the same kind of thing at our wedding with a carving station, salad station, and a lot of other heavy hor'deavours. We just put "Reception to follow" on the invite. There will be plenty of food for it to be classified as a meal, but doing it the way we are makes it so that the food is available all night instead of only during the dinner hour, guests have a bigger selection, and it's about 1500 dollars cheaper than the buffet or plated meal options.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards