Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Brooch Bouquet Request for shower guests

I am the maid of honor in a wedding in December. I am also the only one in the wedding. The shower is in October and the bride is doing a brooch bouquet.  I want to put something in the shower invitation that will ask people to bring a brooch to add to the bouquet.  I'm thinking something like "She wants you all to be a part of the day, so add something nice to her bouquet! Bring a brooch, silver white gold or pearl..something something something"....haha Help please :)

Re: Brooch Bouquet Request for shower guests

• Options
    She wants you all to be a part of the day,
    So add something nice to her bouquet!

Bring a brooch; sillver, gold, or pearl,
    To complete the look for this beautiful girl.

• Options
    II love this!! Thank you!

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_brooch-bouquet-request-for-shower-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:986c8e1c-642d-42ee-9e34-7159475509aePost:a2b80361-05ef-43c0-8b2a-9ae1110148c1">Re: Brooch Bouquet Request for shower guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]She wants you all to be a part of the day, So add something nice to her bouquet! Bring a brooch; sillver, gold, or pearl, To complete the look for this beautiful girl.
    Posted by mobkaz[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    You are 100% right, that is why I wanted it to be light and cutesy..I hate asking people to bring something, I think that is tacky but hopefully nobody thinks it's rude.  I'm going print a pic of a bouque so they know what it is, then put the words under.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_brooch-bouquet-request-for-shower-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:986c8e1c-642d-42ee-9e34-7159475509aePost:89db4abc-0dc1-4b19-928a-43d3e5b6493f">Re: Brooch Bouquet Request for shower guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]Its hard to request stuff like that without it seeming like the guests has to bring one. Could you and the bridesmaids and maybe her mom just pass it around via word of mouth that she is having a brooch bouquet and you think it'd be neat if other people added theirs?
    Posted by lovethebeach16[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_brooch-bouquet-request-for-shower-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:986c8e1c-642d-42ee-9e34-7159475509aePost:840e8829-2176-451b-bf1c-fa68028563c6">Re: Brooch Bouquet Request for shower guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]You are 100% right, that is why I wanted it to be light and cutesy..I hate asking people to bring something, I think that is tacky but hopefully nobody thinks it's rude.  I'm going print a pic of a bouque so they know what it is, then put the words under. In Response to Re: Brooch Bouquet Request for shower guests :
    Posted by katie3980[/QUOTE]

Light and cutesy doesn't make it any different though. You admitted you think it's tacky to ask people to bring something, but you're still doing it. That doesn't make sense to me. If you find it tacky, chances are the guests might too, so why are you still doing it?

I like PP's suggestion of you or her mom or someone maybe mentioning the brooch idea by word of mouth to some of the other guests you are close to but not doing anything formal like writing it in the invitations.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Does the bride want this?  I wouldn't.  If I were planning a brooch bouquet, I'd know exactly what I'd want and it would not include Great Auntie Myrtle's parrot brooch which I'd then be obligated to use.

If the bride is in need of brooches, tell her to find some antique stores.  They usually hav a ton of them for a couple dollars each,
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    Maybe they could each bring some IDEAS of brooches? Like suggestions? :\ I'm a perfectionist and I too would want to pick each one out myself, but the sentiment is really nice. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Since I don't have any broaches lying around to bring I would feel obligated to go and buy one.  So this is actually the same as asking for gifts.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am going to be opposite from everyone on here. I think it is totally appropriate. The people you invite to a shower are supposed to be close friends and family, not just anyone to add the numers to your guest list, therefore I do not think it is wrong to make a little memo stating that shes having a brooch bouquet and everyone has been a suggnificant part in her life and would like to make them a part of her big day...yatayatayata. When you invite someone to a shower your technically asking them for a gift.....it is what people do when the go to a shower. They pick something off of your registry.  What is the difference between you putting everything you want on a register and having people buy you what you want and puting brooches on there? There really isn't......just a few thoughts........
  • Options

Ditto PP's who asked if the Bride was aware of this.

I made my brooch bouquet and had a pretty specific idea of how I wanted it to look. The line in the suggested poem "silver, gold or pearl" would really throw me off becuase I tried to primarily use silver backed brooches and avoided gold.

If the bride needs brooches, word of mouth is best.  When people found out I was making one I got a lot of brooches from different family members.  Some I used, some I didn't but people didn't feel obligated to donate.

• Options
    The bride does want this...I never imagine that so many peole would be against it!
  • Options
    IShe is actually the one that mentioned she would love for it to be part of her shower...she wants everyone involved.  I have found brooches for liek $5 so I don't think it's too much to ask....

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_brooch-bouquet-request-for-shower-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:986c8e1c-642d-42ee-9e34-7159475509aePost:7198c100-5594-4a04-aeb2-0872163674c1">Re: Brooch Bouquet Request for shower guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does the bride want this?  I wouldn't.  If I were planning a brooch bouquet, I'd know exactly what I'd want and it would not include Great Auntie Myrtle's parrot brooch which I'd then be obligated to use. If the bride is in need of brooches, tell her to find some antique stores.  They usually hav a ton of them for a couple dollars each,
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    Thank you!  i had no idea that this would stir up such a negative response!   People definitely don't have to bring one...I've been to showers where they asked you to bring your favorite spice, or a kitchen item or something like that.

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_brooch-bouquet-request-for-shower-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:986c8e1c-642d-42ee-9e34-7159475509aePost:7f4a382f-d2b4-4730-93b8-a59700dc3230">Re: Brooch Bouquet Request for shower guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am going to be opposite from everyone on here. I think it is totally appropriate. The people you invite to a shower are supposed to be close friends and family, not just anyone to add the numers to your guest list, therefore I do not think it is wrong to make a little memo stating that shes having a brooch bouquet and everyone has been a suggnificant part in her life and would like to make them a part of her big day...yatayatayata. When you invite someone to a shower your technically asking them for a gift.....it is what people do when the go to a shower. They pick something off of your registry.  What is the difference between you putting everything you want on a register and having people buy you what you want and puting brooches on there? There really isn't......just a few thoughts........
    Posted by leahnicolec[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I just want to update this post.  I ended up putting a little poem in the invitations and just about everyone brought a brooch, some people brought more than one.  I received SO many compliments on the idea, and most guests brought a meaningful brooch..a cousin brought one from a deceased family member, some people put notes in there as to why they brought a particular designe or style.   I asked a few people (that I felt comfortable with) if they thought it was at all tacky to ask for something and they said absolutely not, that it was fun to take part in the brooch bouquet.  They also said it was good that it went into the invitation so that nobody was left out if I never made direct contact with them regarding the RSVP.

Also, not that it should matter but this wedding is not really on a budget, and the guests were all in a way...."higher class" without sounding snobby.  I am so glad I didn't listen to some of the posts on here, even though they did discourage me.

The bride was EXTREMELY happy with the results, and we even put the brooches on display at the shower and it got everyone up and talking to each other about them! I highly recommend that other people do this Smile
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_brooch-bouquet-request-for-shower-guests?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:986c8e1c-642d-42ee-9e34-7159475509aePost:dd29d400-2855-4ba8-b4c7-62808ed3d2a4">Re: Brooch Bouquet Request for shower guests</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just want to update this post.  I ended up putting a little poem in the invitations and just about everyone brought a brooch, some people brought more than one.  I received SO many compliments on the idea, and most guests brought a meaningful brooch..a cousin brought one from a deceased family member, some people put notes in there as to why they brought a particular designe or style.   I asked a few people (that I felt comfortable with) if they thought it was at all tacky to ask for something and they said absolutely not, that it was fun to take part in the brooch bouquet.  They also said it was good that it went into the invitation so that nobody was left out if I never made direct contact with them regarding the RSVP. Also, not that it should matter but this wedding is not really on a budget, and the guests were all in a way...."higher class" without sounding snobby.  I am so glad I didn't listen to some of the posts on here, even though they did discourage me. The bride was EXTREMELY happy with the results, and we even put the brooches on display at the shower and it got everyone up and talking to each other about them! I highly recommend that other people do this
    Posted by katie3980[/QUOTE]

So you didn't take the advice of all of us "low class" people.  Glad it worked out for you.   FTR though, a friend who grew up on Beacon Street in Boston would have been mortified at something like this. 
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    Hahahah You can take that however you want but my point is that this is not some thrown together backyard wedding.  The shower was at a very popular hall and we didn't ask for brooches to be cheap, we asked for them for sentimental value.

I was updating to let people know that it DID  work out.

Dear God, I hope I am not like some of the bridezillas on here when I get married!
  • Options
    I think it's a great idea and I'm actually considering the same thing for my bouquet. It would mean a lot to me to have something from some of my closest friends and family as part of my special day. I'm glad it worked out for you. People will always disagree about what they think is right or wrong. If you like the idea, go with it!
  • Options
    The only thing thats tacky is these hateful brides
  • Options
    Its completely appropriate and cute! I would be super excited to go hunt for a brooch for my friend getting married, but then again I'm a good friend. If you feel "obligated"  and put out about something that helps your friend out then you probably shouldnt be going to the shower in the first place. 
  • Options
    Ok fools! This bride asked for BROOCH WORDING IDEAS ...... Not you mean peoples opinions on what's "tacky" or " inappropriate"! I googled wording ideas for brooch bouquet to add to my invites and LOVE the wording ideas! Thank you all who are happy carefree and thoughtful people. Our wedding is on the beach hours away from home therefore we knew that our grandmothers and older longtime family and friends probably will not be able to make the trip. The brooch bouquet allows people to feel a part of our day without being there in person.....sentimental value. I've been a part of 2 Brides Brooch Bouquet and I not once felt anything but joy and honar that they would want me to be a part of such a personal memory!
  • Options
    OK, I just came across this thread, and I have to tell all of you who think it's "Tacky" that I did this at my shower. I asked my guests to bring a brooch or pin to add to my brooch bouquet, which would also serve as my something borrowed. I WILL be returning the brooches after the wedding, so I technically, I'm not asking for gifts... My wedding is this weekend, and I cannot tell you how many people have asked me about the brooch bouquet, and they're all talking about how they can't wait to see what I did with it. People are so excited to be a part of it, and to see their brooch in your bouquet. We said it like "i wanted to carry a piece of each person with me on my wedding day" and it was a HUGE hit. I go almost 60 brooches at my shower. I don't think there was a single person who came without one and some people brought many. I did not, however, put any restrictions of color, metal, or style. I got things of all shapes sizes colors a d varieties, and I've used every single one. Including a  heinz ketchup pin, a trick or treat pin, and a christmas pin that says joy. I did not have to purchase a single brooch and my bouquet is beautiful and unique. Something that would have cost Hundreds of dollars to purchase, I got at the price of floral wire and tape. I've actually decided to put out a vase to display it at the reception because so many people are so excited about it. 
  • Options
    Oh BTW: those of you who wouldn't want "donated" brooches, because you would want to hand pick each one are missing the whole point. I wanted a mis-mash of things, because it was my SOMETHING BORROWED. To me heartfelt gifts from people that care about you are much more beautiful than hand picked "perfection" It's about your priorities. I mean I love a beautiful wedding as much as the next girl, but what are you spending all of this time, money,and energy for, if not for your friends and family to be a part of the celebration. If it was really all about you and your fiancee, wouldn't you just hop a flight to some paradise somewhere, elope and enjoy your honeymoon? I'm having the big hometown wedding because I want my loved ones to be a part of the day...
  • Options
    I think we will need a silver bullet, a marksman and several members of the clergy. We WILL kill this thread!!!
  • Options
    manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2013
    @BethanyAllison - this thread is over a year old! At least start a new one if you insist on arguing with everyone. 

ETA - Banana FTW!
  • Options
    Kill the zombies!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @hobokenbride2012 How are you feeling?
  • Options
    In response to RistaK77... I couldn't agree with you more! It is about sentimental value.  I am getting married next June and I just saw this on one of those wedding shows and completely fell in love with the whole brooch bouquet idea!!! My grandparents are all deceased, and my mother has a lot of my grandma's brooches that I would LOVE to use on my special day.  I also have many family members in different states, and it would be awesome for them to send me one of theirs that aren't able to attend my bridal shower and/or wedding.  This makes the bouquet have an extra special meaning to it. Although I am having a beach-theme wedding, I really love different things... especially when they have sentimental value to it.  It is not tacky at ALL to ask people for a brooch.  It makes it meaningful. :)
  • Options
    In response to RistaK77... I couldn't agree with you more! It is about sentimental value.  I am getting married next June and I just saw this on one of those wedding shows and completely fell in love with the whole brooch bouquet idea!!! My grandparents are all deceased, and my mother has a lot of my grandma's brooches that I would LOVE to use on my special day.  I also have many family members in different states, and it would be awesome for them to send me one of theirs that aren't able to attend my bridal shower and/or wedding.  This makes the bouquet have an extra special meaning to it. Although I am having a beach-theme wedding, I really love different things... especially when they have sentimental value to it.  It is not tacky at ALL to ask people for a brooch.  It makes it meaningful. :)
    Jesus lord that was over a year ago. Where do you even find these threads?

I try to read post like this and then when I get to "my special day" my brain vomits and I can't read anymore. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards