Wedding Invitations & Paper

'Together with their parents' vs. Bride's parents Wording

I never thought I would actually need outside advice on my invitations, but my fiance and I are unable to agree on invitation wording. As background:

Both of our parents are still married to each other. My parents are paying about 2/3 of the wedding costs, my fiance and I are paying the remaining 1/3, while my fiance's parents are paying for the rehearsal dinner. We live halfway across the country from both sets of parents and we are having the wedding in our home state, not where the parents live, so we are doing 100% of the planning. 

I wanted to go with the "Together with their parents" wording, my feelings being that 1) I don't feel like my parents are hosting and 2) I would feel weird leaving my fiance's parents off the invitation (and including his parents' names as well would feel too crowded on the invitation). 

My fiance, on the other hand, thinks we should go with the wording in which the bride's parents are requesting the pleasure of the guests' company. He says that whenever he's received a wedding invitation with "together with their parents", he says he thinks "Oh, their parents must be divorced and they wanted to avoid any awkward phrasing." Also in his words, "There's nothing wrong with tradition." Although, like any good future husband, he did say that if I really cared that much we could do it my way.

What are your opinions?

P.S. I asked my mom if she minded the "together with their parents" version and she said they had no problems with it.... so I don't foresee that being an issue. Thank goodness both of our parents are easy-going!

Re: 'Together with their parents' vs. Bride's parents Wording

• I did the same thing on my invitations and ended up putting together with their parents, I see nothing wrong with that!
  • Well, "together with their parents" does imply that both sets of parents are hosting, which is not the case.  However, I guess if your parents don't have a problem with the wording, then I guess there is no harm in using it.
  • I'd say go with your first thought. "Together with their parents" does not imply that hte parents are divorced. Since you're parents aren't hosting, the bride's parents wording wouldn't really fit in your case, and could be misleading. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My dad paid for our wedding, and we still used "Together with their families..."
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieL73 - I love the idea of "Together with their FAMILIES!" 
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2013
    Your parents are hosting the wedding and reception, so your parents' names would be on the top line of the wedding invitation.

The groom's parents are hosting the RD, so the groom's parents' names would be on the top line of the RD invitation.
  • "Together with their parents" has nothing to do with divorced parents.  All it means is that the couple is hosting together with both sets of parents.
  • Don't make it difficult honey....Together with their parents..... will work out just fine!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards