Wedding Invitations & Paper

bad handwriting

Is it ok to address invitations if I don't have the best handwriting? I don't want to hire a caligrapher and I could get some friends to help me but I still want to do most of them myself. My handwriting isn't illegible but it isn't very nice either. I take after my dad in that area and he is an engineer...would anybody be offended or think it is tacky if they aren't addressed in a really nice handwriting?

Re: bad handwriting

• I did handwriting for my STD's but am going to attept using a computer printer to do a light font on the envelopes I can trace that look more professional. I found that if I held the pen a certain way my writing was a lot neater as well. So practice a bit.
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • It's not tacky at all to address your invitations by hand, even if your handwriting is bad. You may want to pick up a calligraphy pen and practice your writing; they can improve the look of your writing. I got a set for $19.99 at Michaels and experimented with different nibs. Good luck.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_bad-handwriting?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:abc00ea7-481b-499a-a1ef-fe9bd7403f44Post:e96d04f5-434d-4ad8-8100-d18b58c5bc95">Re: bad handwriting</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the bride's own handwriting, regardless of beauty, is the very best way to address invitations.  I don't really like calligraphy, unless it is done by family members.
    Posted by CMGr[/QUOTE]
    How would you even know that they paid for it or that a friend or relative did it? Some brides do know calligraphy.  

Your handwriting is fine for addressing the invitations. If you have friends or relatives that would help you, it'll cut down on the work.
  • FI and I addressed our own invites. His mother was not happy bc she wanted to do the calligraphy. But then again she never found the magic lost pen either lol! Anyway I think our invites looked like us......and that made me happy :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My mom bought a caligraphy pen, she does really well with it. Where I live, everyone does their own invitations anyway.

• Personally, I stand over the trash can when I go through the mail.  The envelope will instantly go in the trash, the invite on the fridge.  I wouldn't think twice about the handwriting.  As long as your writing is legible enough to get to my house, I think it's fine.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If your parents' names are on the top line as the people who are inviting the guests to come, then your mom makes the decision of how HER invitations to the event SHE is hosting will be addressed.

My mom was insistent that SHE address the envelopes because the invitations were coming from HER.  I sat with her and worked the address book, and I stuffed and stamped.  But SHE hand-addressed every envelope.

Before you by-pass your mom with this, you need to work with her.  Maybe she would like it if the two of you addressed the envelopes.  Maybe she would want to invite your sister and her sister, and have a little hen party to address the envelopes.  But she might demand to do them all herself - this is HER call.
  • I am hand addressing all mine. I got about 20 done so far and what I like is that people will KNOW that I wrote them and took the time to do it. My writing isn't stereotypical pretty girl writing, but it is plenty legible and I have been complimented on it so I suppose it is better than I give myself credit for.

Write them out. Just go slow so the mailman can read them!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mitchsbridemitchsbride member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I'm sure my handwriting is as bad or worse than yours!

I talked to my wedding planner and she suggested a lady who does digital calligraphy.  She has a couple of styles that look exactly like handwritten calligraphy and tons of fonts that match invitation fonts.  She charges $.50 an envelope with no set up charge and she told me the envelopes would be ready the next day.  I saw her samples and checked her out on weddingwire and I'm going with her.  She's going to do my place cards and programs too.

www.tampacalligraphy.com or

http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/tampa-calligraphy-tampa/5cc60248832e6866.html

HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards